Friday, December 18, 2009

Red Velvet Cookies


I mentioned in a previous post that we've been cooking like maniacs around here for the holidays. One of popular to-go/catering establishments near our house advertises Red Velvet Cookies during the holidays, and being the cheap-skate that I am, I didn't want to pay $15 for two dozen. I did a quick Google search and found the EASIEST COOKIE RECIPE ON EARTH.

Red Velvet Cookies

  • One box of Red Velvet cake mix
  • 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs

Mix all the ingredients together with a very strong spoon because DENSE is an understatement. I used our Kitchenaid stand mixer after the first batch. Roll small balls of dough, squish slightly, and lay them out on your baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes at 375 degrees.

I dipped my cookies in granulated sugar before baking because they have a really pretty crackle about them and it makes for a crunchy outside and soft, chewy middle. The picture are NOT my cookies, but mine looked very similar, so there!

I've been giving these away at work in little holiday packages, and they seem to be a big hit with everyone (including the Rockets). The color is beautiful, and they bake perfectly if you're using a nice, thick baking sheet. We also decided to expand our cake mix cookie experience. We tried the same recipe with a lemon cake mix, and they were delicious, too. I glazed them with a powdered sugar/lemon glaze and, need I say more, they're already gone!

Enjoy this easy recipe from our lazy household to yours!

11 comments:

  1. I am so gonna have to try this. Do you think it would be pretty if I rolled them in colored sugar before baking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I hope you enjoy them! It would probably be pretty depending on the color. They're such a rich red, it would probably wash a green sugar out or make it look brown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you feel about shipping those if I put in an order? ;)

    Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look yummy and what a simple 'recipie'. We don't have red velvet food over here, but I sort fo want to make some for the gorgeous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O my gosh. I love red velvet cake and these look delicious!!! Thanks!

    BTW - I'm glad I found another Stellastarr* fan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm...now I have to hope that Betty Crocker's new GF line includes Red Velvet! lol I guess I COULD just find a recipe from scratch online, but where would be the fun in that?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving this recipe - I just made them now.

    I actually had to use peanut oil, since I'm all out of vegetable oil. I have to say they are pretty amazing - and so easy to make!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look so good! I wanted to make cookies today too... Now I just have to get to the store for some ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummmy! Definitely going to have to try both recipes. I think they'd look pretty in a stack, alternating colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, April! Easy as can be. :)

    Jodie, red velvet is my favorite! Cake and now cookies apparently. If you're not familiar, red velvet is chocolate with red food color. hehe

    Amanda, I hope you enjoy them if you get 'round to making some. Rock on, Stellastarr!

    LOL, Eva. Good luck with the GF or the homemadeness.

    Glad you like them, Bibliolatrist!!! Too easy for words, right?

    Enjoy, Kim!

    Les, very pretty stacked. I did that for the packages and they were really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made these today, finally! I skipped the roll in a ball step and just blobbed them on the cookie sheet. We are enjoying them, but they are not very sweet at all! I was thinking it might be cool to use a white cake mix and add a ton of food coloring- like blue and green- and make a rainbow of cookies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!