Friday, January 29, 2010

Article: "The Man in the Glass House"

This is an excerpt from a really poignant article about J.D. Salinger published in Esquire.

Just being here, at the bottom of the driveway, just beyond the verge of the property line, feels like a trespass of some kind. This is not just private property. It is the property of the most private man in America, perhaps the last private person in America. The silence surrounding this place is not just any silence. It is the work of a lifetime. It is the work of renunciation and determination and expensive litigation. It is a silence of self-exile, cunning, and contemplation. In its own powerful, invisible way, the silence is in itself an eloquent work of art. It is the Great Wall of Silence J.D. Salinger has built around himself.

I'm about to teach a class, so I haven't had time to read it all, but this passage struck me as especially well written and thoughtful and sums up my fascination--and so many others'--with J.D. Salinger himself.

Read the article for yourself.





4 comments:

  1. "The last private man in America."

    True. Thanks for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Andi. I picked up a copy of Nine Stories while out and about this past week. I've only ever read Catcher in the Rye by Salinger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, good post on a great writer. I must also get hold of Nine Stories - I always think of Salinger as synonymous with Catcher in the Rye...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that line, Bookshelf Monstrosity! Loved it!

    Wendy, I think I'm going to tackle Franny and Zooey with Stephanie for a buddy read. I was going to snag it from the library, but it seems everyone has the same idea in light of his death. Looks like I'll be going to the Used Book Store instead. :) Not that I need much of an excuse for that.

    Seachanges, so do I! I almost completely forget about Franny and Zooey.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!