Sunday, January 03, 2010

The Sunday Salon - The Truth is in the Numbers!

I rarely do this, but I'm actually reading three books at the moment. For a girl that goes through such terrible slumps, I'd say that's something to celebrate! And I did celebrate tonight with caramel apple pie, but that's a whole other story.

Anywho, as you can see from my sidebar, I'm still chugging away at Emma, and I really do love it. It's a shame it's taken me this long to read it, but if I'm too sleepy at night, the lilting British English puts me to sleep. No, I'm not listening to it, but I'm playing the movie over in my head, and it still takes a toll. I love the story. Maybe not as much as Pride and Prejudice, but darn close. Emma is a great character, and I actually can't wait to read the book's introduction when I'm done. I like to save the literary insight until the end, you see.

I'm also neck-deep in Keeping the Feast: One Couple's Story of Love, Food, and Healing in Italy. It's written by Paula Butturini, and I've mentioned it here before. I've also been raving about it on Twitter. The most frustrating part is that it's for a book blog tour on January 22nd, so I can't say much until then. Except....I LOVE THIS BOOK! It's a beautiful foodie memoir and great story of life abroad (sometimes under the worst conditions), and there will be many noteworthy passages I'll have to share with you all when the review goes up.

Finally, I've been in a baby flurry. With all this talk of baby showers, and the baby gifts we got for Christmas, and all of the manic cleaning and house organizing I've been doing, it seemed an appropriate time to pick up What to Expect the First Year by several authors I'm too lazy to look up at the moment. It's a fun read, and I'm excited for our little Greyson (nickname: Lil Bug) to get here.

I start back to work tomorrow after a delightful holiday vacation, and I can't say I'm terribly ready to go. Especially since my Nook is set to land tomorrow. Monday through Wednesday of this week is full-timer training every day from 10:00 until 6:00, Thursday is a hell day (12 hours) of multiple meetings and orientation sessions, and Friday the actual classes start. Don't ask me why they start class on a Friday--the reason escapes me.

Anyhow, this post makes for a very late Sunday Salon, but I doubt I'll get to post tomorrow with all the activity kicking back up. I slept in until a scandalously late hour today, we hosted a Dallas Cowboys watch party for a small group of friends, and I'm so full I could pop. I think I'll do a little more reading and turn in, but I hope you all had a great Sunday!

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that Keeping the Feast is so good since I will be reading that as well. It's hard for me to like a lot of things as much as I like Pride & Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing the read-along for Keeping the Feast, and you've made me excited about it. I can't believe your nook is going to come right when you won't have time to play with it. That is so frustrating.

    I'm guessing you've decided to go with an e in Greyson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping the Feast sounds wonderful - can't wait to hear more!

    Hope you continue to enjoy your books and good luck with all the back to work stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always save the introductions for the end! There are always spoilers, which make me so annoyed if I read them before the text. :) I'm so glad you're reading such awesome books right now!

    And football parties are designed to make us stuff ourselves, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear you're really liking Keeping the Feast as I'll be reading that once I finish one of my current books! Yay :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a bit scandalous to admit this but I've never read anything by Jane Austen. She is one of those authors that I am always meaning to read but then never pick her books up. This is the year that I read something by her!! Good luck going back to work :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Emma! I'm so glad you are enjoying it. I also wore out my copies of What to Expect The First Year when my girls were little. They were, quite literally, my bible. Couldn't have survived it without them! When's the due date?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicole, I hope you love it as much as I do. The descriptions are rich and woooonderful!

    Kathy, I hope you love it, too! I lucked out on the Nook delivery: it came shortly before my lunch break. I've gotten my fix tonight, and I can't wait for many more cozy evenings curled up with my Nook. :D And we're leaning toward the Greyson with an "e." lol

    Thanks, Iliana! The first day back to work was relatively pleasant. Hope the rest of the week is too!

    Eva, I save them, too. I pretty much already know everything there is to know about Emma without having actually read it, but I'm still saving it.

    Thanks, Aarti! It's truly a "delicious" read. Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

    Sam, get your hands on some Austen! I would start with Pride and Prejudice. It made my heart go pitter-pat.

    Tammy, I'm glad to hear that about What to Expect the First Year! It seems like a really helpful book. Due date is April 16th--day before my mom's birthday. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have The Baby Book by Dr. Sears? I liked it better than the What to Expect book for most things (though I was glad to have both).

    Going to have to look into Keeping the Feast, I love a good foodie memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A week behind with my comment, but oh! I can't wait to hear what you have to say about Keeping the Feast. I want that book!!!!

    Greyson is a fabulous name. I have a (female) cousin named Grey. I've always loved her name.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!