Monday, February 01, 2010

Bookish Potpourri

Once again, it was one of those weekends when I intended to post a Sunday Salon, but the time slipped right on by. I was neck-deep in boxes--carrying what little I could (aka, light stuff)--that needed to go to storage. Our condo is once again ours, and I'm not homicidal due to the wall of crap covering up the sliding glass door in our place. I haven't seen that door since before Christmas, so it feels oddly airy in our living room.

I did accomplish one major feat yesterday and that was finishing Emma!!! I love, love, loved it! What I noticed about the film/book difference was mostly a greater understandg of the characters. Emma comes off as much more self-centered and snooty in the book, though she's still likeable. I have no idea how that happened or why I still liked her. Mrs. Elton is still a deplorable snot, Mr. Knightley is still dreamy, and Emma's father is even more dependent and annoying. I love Austen's rich characters, and now I just have to decide what to read of hers next. I have Northanger Abbey on my shelves now, and I have a copy of Persuasion floating around at my mom's house somewhere. I feel sure I won't wait so long to get 'round to Austen again. No five years between books this time, I say! Oh, and I have a freebie copy of Persuasion on my Nook. Totally forgot about it. That one will probably be the winner.

In other bookish news, I had a wicked case of insomnia last night. Or perhaps it's not really insomnia when the sleeplessness is attributable to baby discomfort and one fiance rolling around in his office chair overhead. It's my lot in life to be in love with a complete night owl, and when he's working on a website at 1am when I have to get up at 5:30, all is not right with the world. I woke up when he came to bed and positively could not fall back to sleep, so I whipped through a chapter of Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, by Rick Riordan. Innumerable other bloggers have read this one already--I'm behind the pack as usual--but I couldn't resist after I fell in love with the movie trailer. Doesn't it look COOL?!

Note: The first trailer disappeared due to copyright. Let's try this again!

The first chapter was fun, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy the whole book. It's been a while since I read a juvenile adventure story, so we'll see if this one lives up to some of its predecessors.

Finally, in honor of J.D. Salinger, I picked up the remaining library copy of Franny and Zooey. I tried Nine Stories a couple of years ago and couldn't seem to sink into it, but I'm hoping to have better luck with this novel. Stephanie approached me about a buddy read, and if anyone else is interested in a buddy read or read-along, let me know!

Keep an eye out for an upcoming post on Valentine's Day picture books! They were a ton of fun to read, and I can't wait to review them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik