Friday, February 26, 2010

Home is Where the Wine Is, by Laurie Perry

A while back I participated in Laurie Perry's first blog tour for her first book, Drunk, Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair. It was, by turns,  a hilarious and heart-wrenching look at her divorce: the breakdown and the picking back up.

Her second memoir, Home is Where the Wine Is, is much lighter and an account of her New Year's resolutions. Each chapter is devoted to a specific resolution, a couple of my favorites being "Resolution #5: Grow a Garden...Crazy Adjacent Zucchini" and "Vacation Redux: The Things We Do."

While I can't say that I laughed out loud quite as much reading this installment of Perry's antics, I still really really like her and her writing. While some other female memoirists can be less than likeable sometimes (*coughJuliePowellcough*), Laurie Perry seems like a genuinely down to earth girlfriend I'd like to hang out with. She's silly and dramatic at times, oddly aloof at others, but she's always relatable, and that's something I can appreciate in this world full of narcissists. And she lives in L.A., speaking of narcissists!

In the final chapter, she takes a vacation to Hawaii alone, and she feels it necessary to get a spray tan before she leaves so she won't glow on the beach. It goes something like this:

It's a tall metal box with nozzles on the inner walls and a few lighted buttons. I slide the door shut and try to stand like I saw the tan girl demonstrate. I can smell the chemicals in there, and I start to feel the edge of panic, because I am in a smallish metal box alone with some self-tanner spray. I imagine this is what it feels like to be a glazed ham.
And if you think that's cute, you should read about her bikini wax. I'll leave it to your imagination for now, though.

I almost missed out on a chance to take part in this blog tour, but I'm particularly glad to have snatched this book up for my collection and participation at the last minute. If you're at all interested in memoirs and humor, certainly give Laurie Perry a go. And if you happen to be a knitter--which I almost totally forgot to mention--this book is doubly for you. Perry's blog, Crazy Aunt Purl, is part knitting extravaganza and partially personal. There are a number of knitting patterns in the back of the book for those who are much more talented with string than I will ever be. I applaud you, knitters!

Thanks to the publisher and TLC Book Tours for the book!

9 comments:

  1. I could SO relate to her internet dating experiences. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gads! I'm so glad to have found someone else who isn't enthralled with Julie Powell. I started reading Julie and Julia because she was so highly recommended by...everyone and totally hated it. I couldn't even bear to finish. About half way through I wondered why I was reading a memoir of someone who I wouldn't even want to be friends with. Lesson learned. If the entire world seems to love something, it's probably not for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed out on these. I think by the titles I though they were chick lit, but I have actually read a few reviews in the past week and they seem to be good an hilarious. I will keep them in mind for future reads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Chris. I think many of us could!

    Christy, at the end of the day I enjoyed Julie and Julia overall, but there were moments when I really wanted to choke her. I won't even read her second book I've heard so many horrible things about it and Powell's attitudes in it.

    Nicole, they do look very much like chick lit, but they're really really funny and charming. And like I said, Perry is really warm and likeable. Southern charm lands in L.A. :)

    It was fantabulous, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds like a really fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is, Dana! I hope you get to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This books sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Andi! Sorry I was so slow to get over here! I got behind and am only now getting around to catching up. Anyway, I'm very happy you enjoyed the book. Thanks so much for the time you spent reading and reviewing Home is Where the Wine Is. We really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!