Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Personally: I'm nuts!

If you can't already tell from the title of this post, I have no idea what to write about today. Everything is a swirl of activity 'round here, and I'm just trying to keep my head above water. I've been supremely stressed and emotional lately, and it's about to drive Chuck and everyone nuts, so I've spent the last couple of days trying to calm the hell down!

Here's a little story about a bad experience with an OB:

After I had to leave the Medicaid clinic (loved those ladies) where I was receiving my maternity care because I elected benefits through my godsend of a full-time teaching position, I wound up with a nut for a doc. Actually, she was nice, but her practice gave me the supreme creeps. The good part: this practice was literally right around the corner from our house. The bad parts:
  • They insisted on keeping a credit card on file (felt like a bar tab to have a baby)
  • They explained very litte--kinda had to drag it out of 'em
  • Their office was cold and intimidating
  • There was a sign in the lobby instructing women with children over 3 months TO WAIT IN THE HALL until appointment time
  • They refused to file any secondary costs on my Medicaid
  • They charged patients for "rush" calls to answer questions. They practically charges patients if they farted in the office.
I just had an icky feeling about the practice, so I started looking for someone different. As it turns out, after much phone calling and referral chasing I found a practice at the hospital I really like where I had my ultrasounds done. I met the doctor for my first appointment yesterday, and I LOVE HER. I could hug her and squeeze her and pinch her cheeks and give her lots of money. As it turns out, they'll file secondary costs on my Medicaid, though, so I don't have to give her any money. I let my insurance company do that. She made me laugh, and she was normal (but a weird, quirky, bubbly normal), and she even had a PC vs. Mac discussion with Chuck. And she told us we have big heads. Just like her family.

Seriously, though, it is SUCH a relief to find a doc, right here at week 30, who I love and who I trust and who explains things and is normal. And doesn't make ANYONE wait in the hall. HA!

Chuck and I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening registering at Babies R'Us, and we had a blast (until I got tired and heartburny and wanted to go home).

Work is stupid busy, but I won't go into all that. I don't have time since I am at work, this class is almost over, and I'm about to zip away to the next class. I'll be back with more book talk soon (maybe later  today) since I'm actually READING this year (so different from last year).

I hope you're all having a delightful Tuesday thus far!

15 comments:

  1. I am SO glad you left the crappy Doc and found a good one! I can't imagine dealing with a crappy doctor. If I were in your position I guarantee I would have used the pregnancy hormones as an excuse to flip out on the crappy peoples. :)

    Alayne - The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe they asked patients to wait in the hall! That is beyond crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Have you tried some yoga for expecting mothers? I hear it's supposed to be really calming.

    Sounds like you are keeping things on track even with the crazy hormones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you found a doctor that you feel comfortable with. The first office sounds really creepy and not geared at all towards women having babies or women with children which is weird considering that is who makes up their practice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And she told us we have big heads. Just like her family. " I LOVE HER TOO!

    OMG your first OB practice sounds horrendous! I can't believe you dealt with them this long! Having a good doc/practice means SO much when you're pregnant. I guess it's better late than never for you, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alayne, me too! Luckily, I only saw those docs for one visit, so I didn't have time to totally lose it. Though I did get pretty icky when they told me I had one month to pay them 1,000 to cover my doc fees for delivery and all.

    Kathy, no joke! Can you imagine?

    Nikki, I haven't tried it, but I'd probably love it.

    Kathleen, that was my thought. I felt much better walking into this practice and seeing a mixture of people and even kids! Wooo!

    Funky, I actually wasn't with Crazy Doctor all this time. I was with a practice I really liked for 28 weeks, but when I got the new insurance I had to switch. I only made it through ONE office visit with Crazy Doc before I ran screaming to this new practice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andi, I can't tell you how many of my friends have similar struggles with finding a doctor they like. But boy, I am glad you did. Yeah!!!

    Now rest up and read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so, so important to have a doctor you like and feel comfortable with. I adore my ob/gyn and would have pulled the babies out of my nose if she'd told me to (well, actually, she wouldn't have--and I had two c-sections). I'm so glad you found someone you like. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I now that all of that must make you so grateful for a doctor that you love. You know that there are some characters out there when you have to be so grateful for something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to hear that you found a doctor that you like. It is really important especially since this is your first pregnancy. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They charged for rush calls?! What the hell. I am so glad you've found another doctor you like much better. Finding a good doc is so hard. I've had to find new doctors since our move and it hasn't been fun but oh well. Anyway, try to keep sane will 'ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have NEVER heard of such horrible treatment of expectant mothers. I wonder if there is someone or an organization to complain to. They should be ashamed. I am so glad you found a doctor that you like and is respectful.
    A Pox Upon Them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a big head, too, so it's nice to know I'm not a mutant. :-D

    Hope you're feeling calmer. If not, grab your nook and mutter a few oms, or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Andi! It's been a struggle, but it's good to find an awesome one even if it's late in the game.

    Thanks, Tammy! I *heart* this one and will do whatever she says. Even that nose thing. lol And I'll keep her after the fact since she's not just an OB but also has a gynecology practice she maintains. Whee!

    Nicole, no kidding! "Characters" is an understatement. Villains is more like it.

    Thanks, Samantha! I couldn't freak out with the other doc. This one I can freak out and know I'm normal (with a big head).

    Thanks, Iliana! Now I get to *try* to hunt down a good pediatrician and primary care physician. Oy!

    Fem, my former Medicaid liaison told me to complain, and I think I just might! I'm not sure who to complain to, but I'll find someone!

    Jill, oms muttered, and I'm feeling much better. Oh, and I nicknamed my Nook "Homer."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank gawd you got a sane doctor! Sounds like a perfect match. I love my obgyn. Best bedside manner I've ever seen. He's a kind soul.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!