Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Scattershot Reading...

First I intended to post for The Sunday Salon, and then I meant to post yesterday because it was a shortish day at work (7am to 3pm), and then it just never happened. You all know how it goes, I'm sure, but sometimes I wish I could just blog up a storm every single day and get it all out of my system!

As it is, I have to sneak in moments like these when I'm letting my students work on a big project while we sit around eagerly hoping it'll snow...again. If we get a couple more inches in Texas today, it'll be a winter-long record: 17-something inches for the season. Wheee!

My reading has been a little slow because of life stuff, but I still have three books on the go. I haven't been able to give any of them the undivided attention I'd like to give this week, but here they are:

Home is Where the Wine Is, by Laurie Perry - I'm the last stop on the book blog tour on the 26th, so I'm witholding my opinion. I only have about 10 pages left, but I was so utterly zonked last night, I couldn't even polish those off before I rolled my big belly over and lurched right into a good night's sleep. I don't think I got up to pee more than twice, and that might be a pregnancy all-time overnight low for me. TMI? I think not. Laurie Perry would share similar experiences if she were preggers.

Franny and Zooey, by the old hermit guy. YES, I'm still reading this one. I love the book, but I just haven't picked it up in a few days. This was partially because it got abandoned in my car after an errand running trip last week. Oh, and the book makes me sneeze. God knows how old this library copy is. I will finish it, though. I like it!

The Scarlet Letter, by Nathaniel Hawthorne. This one is for a class I'm teaching in early American literature. The first time I read this book was as a high school student, and the hard truth is that I DIDN'T read it. In an American Lit survey in college I got into it and whisked through and loved it. This time I downloaded it free for my Nook (newly named Dobby) to give myself a refresher, and I hope I get sucked in once again.

And that's more or less the state of things. The first two books are just on the brink of being finished, and hopefully ole Hester will move pretty quickly, too.

In other exciting news, Rocketgirl is grounded until she's 40 (that's not the exciting part), and all she can really do is read. I gave her The Book Thief to try, and it looks like she's loving it and almost done with it. She raced through in about 2.5 days. I told her it was good. She's already bugging me for my next recommendation, which will probably be The Lightning Thief.

I hope you're all having a lovely Tuesday. It is Tuesday, right? Scattered Andi and scattershot reading!

7 comments:

  1. I almost just started The Scarlett Letter but I picked up Anna Karenina instead. I was feeling ambitious last night. The Letter is gonna still sit on my shelf for a while but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. Might push it up to next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo I wonder what Rocketgirl did (you make child rearing sound much more exciting with your fun names y'know).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you might get more snow! Holy cow, what a winter it's been. Hey, at least Rocketgirl will be around to babysit! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christopher, Anna Karenina is quite the undertaking. I've been thinking about taking the plunge into that one as well, but so far I've chickened out royally. I wish you luck with it and hope you can get around to Scarlet soon!

    Jodie, LOL! It does sound much more upbeat than it is really is.

    Kathy, I can't believe it either. So far this part of Dallas hasn't seen much if anything. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been in a bit of a reading slump too because of life and just stuff in general.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Calliope says to say hey to Dobby. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole, it happens periodically. We can only hope to escape the slumpiness quickly!

    Jill, I'm still mad at you for stealing the coolest possible Nook name, so I'll just have to settle for Dobby. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!