Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Sunday Salon - A Review and a Happy V-Day!

Happy Sunday Salon and a very happy Valentine's Day to everybody! I'm getting ready to transition from one crazy-ass work week straight into another one, but I took the morning to enjoy some reading, and I can't stay away from the blogginess any longer! I can't do it, I say!

I'm almost finished with Marilyn Johnson's This Book is Overdue, and I cannot wait to review it for you all. The further I get into it the more new stuff I learn and the more charming the book becomes. Marilyn Johnson is one of those people I'd like to have coffee with and discuss just about everything.

My review of The Lightning Thief is long overdue. This is one of the few books I've ripped through like a madwoman lately. I think it took me all of a grand total two days to read it, and I just loved it (if you hadn't already noticed). Harry Potter comes to mind, but only because this is one of the more immersive juvenile adventure stories I've read since the Potter series. It's not as detailed, by any stretch of the imagination, but it carried me away and made me feel all whimsical and floaty again.

Plot: Boy has a troubled childhood, boy gets kicked out of yet another boarding school for iffy behavior and grades, boy finds out he's a demi-god (son of Poseidon) and barely makes it to Camp Half-Blood, his new training ground, before he's attacked by a psychotoic Minotaur. After a brief stay at the camp, he and two buddies (daughter of Athena and a satyr) are sent off on a quest to the Underworld. No biggie, right?

I loved the way Rick Riordan reimagined the gods and goddesses and placed them in the contemporary American landscape. Mount Olympus is situated high above New York City. Where else? Many of my favorite characters made an appearance: Medusa, Cerberus, Ares, Hades, the Furies, and the Fates...to name a few. It was really exciting to wait and see who would turn up next and what kind of havoc they would wreak. Good times all around.

I went out looking for the second book in the series, Sea of Monsters, a day or so after I finished The Lightning Thief, but I didn't have a bit of luck finding it. It seems everyone is snatching this one up in anticipation of the movie, and now I NEEEEED the second book. I think everyone else had the same idea.

Hmmphf.

For now I'm off to finish up This Book is Overdue!, and I'm also engrossed in Franny and Zooey. Wish me luck finishing it up before the craziness kicks in at work tomorrow! Happy Sunday and hugs and virtual smooches for all of ya!

13 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read your review of This Book is Overdue! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day with your family!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you try Target? Our Target had an end counter with most of the titles. I already had The Lightning Thief, which Kiddo had just read, so I grabbed #2-4, last Sunday. On Tuesday morning, he told me he was finished and would I please buy #5? Haven't been back to Target, though, since it's an hour's drive away. It's half-blessing, half-curse having a speed reading teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, Happy Valentine's Day!! I am so glad you have a big old family to celebrate with. I wished this for you. Lots of love to you and yours, Andiloo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Valentine's Day to you too! :) I thought The Lightning Thief was great children's lit too; I read it last summer, when I was doing my super-intense teacher training stuff, and it totally let me blow off steam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband wants to read The Lightning Thief, thanks to the movie trailer (acutally, so do I). Also looking forward to your review of This Book is Overdue; it sounds like great fun. Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to put this book on my radar. It sounds fun.

    Virtual hugs & smooches back at ya! And hope the week isn't all madness for you. How's the weather in Dallas now? We were thinking of going up to Dallas on the weekend but when we found out about the snow we quickly said no!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, thanks!! I can't wait to write it. I'm in the mood to do it this morning, but my copy of the book is at home, and I feel an urgen need to quote awesome passages.

    Lezlie, thank you! It was a good day.

    Nancy, I haven't tried Target!!!! Lucky for me, we have one just about 5 minutes from our house (a Super one!), so I might have to drop by there on my way home today. And my Lord, your boy is a speed reader, isn't he?

    And thank you re: big V-day with the fam. It was fun.

    Eva, it is a wooonderful blow off steam kind of book. It whisked me away for sure.

    DS, The Lightning Thief is just fantastic, as is This Book is Overdue. I just started following the author on Twitter and can't wait to see what she has to say.

    Iliana, it's beautiful and cold now. Lots of sunshine, but still pretty chilly. The foot of snow was the craziest thing I've ever seen. I'm just meeting with my Tuesday/Thursday classes again today after the snow days, and we had a hard time remembering where we dropped off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so looking forward to your review of Franny and Zooey. I hope you had a great Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my students just finished The Lightning Thief. He could not put it down, not while I was teaching Math, Science, Spelling, anything! So, I guess that's a good recommendation, too! Have a Happy Love Week, as I'm late for Valentine's Day. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Nymeth! I've been so busy the last couple of days with planning a meeting for work I haven't had a chance to make much more headway. I'm lovin' it though! The Zooey portion gets better with every page!

    LOL, Bellezza!!! You don't know how hard it is not to sit at the back of my writing labs and occasionally read. lol A very good recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andiloo,

    Yes, my boy is a speed reader. You want to hear the funny thing about that? He was a late reader and I had him in the same private school to which I sent eldest (because of his ADD - he really needed to be in a small-class environment), but I yanked him out when the teacher started putting sad faces beside all of his spelling words -- which were 3rd-grade level . . . and he was in Kindergarten. And, then the principal said I should have him tested for a learning disability. He was in Kindergarten!!! Sheesh.

    I taught my eldest to read at 4 and knew Kiddo didn't show any signs that he was going to have trouble reading. He just wasn't ready, yet. And, when he did start reading -- ohmygosh. He zipped ahead of everyone. His reading comprehension is fabulous. And, he can read three or four books in the time it takes me to read one.

    Mama knows best. :) Hope you find them at Target!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to read this book AND see the movie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!