Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Forest of Hands and Teeth

Much of the blogosphere is familiar with this book already, but I'm just getting to it. After reviews by the likes of Heather F. and Stephanie I couldn't help myself.

I can't say I was terribly enticed by the idea of zombies--they're sooo five minutes ago--but between the interesting concept and the cool title, I took the plunge.

Quick blurb: Mary lives in a secluded society surrounded by fences. The fences serve a very important purpose: to keep the Unconsecrated (zombies) at bay. Early in the book Mary loses her mother when she wanders too close to the fence looking for Mary's thought-to-be-dead father. Her mother soon dies and Returns as an Unconsecrated and is pushed into the Forest to exist with the others. Mary finds herself alone amidst the Sisters--nuns who guard the secrets and history of the society in which Mary lives. She also finds herself in a bit of a marital pickle. She's marrying age, but she loves Travis and is socially bound to his brother, Harry. Hello, love triangle!

The book started out with a bang. I was immediately sucked in by the creepy atmosphere and the sense of oppression that comes through the writing. I can't imagine being locked in by fences and surrounded by "the enemy" all the time. Even though the Unconsecrated are slow, the sheer numbers of them are a constant threat to the village as they consistently pressure the fences and threaten to overtake the residents. It's a pretty darn bothersome concept, actually.

Toward the middle of the book, as the love triangle became an increasing problem for Mary, I got a little bored. Mary seems a pretty solid character. She knows her mind (most of the time), and has some very definite dreams about escaping her community to see what lies beyond the Forest. She's heard stories of the ocean all her life and wants nothing more than to reach it. That said, she still gets bogged down in a mental battle between Travis and Harry. Who should she trust? Who loves her? Who does she want to be with, etc.

I felt a similar sense of apathy about the "love triangle" in The Hunger Games. When I see people going on about Team Peeta or Team Gale, I tend to fall on a third team: Team Katniss! I can see Katniss being independent of both these guys. Same thing with Mary. I was more interested in her and the societal secrets around her than her thin love life.

There were some specific scenes in the book that I found pretty heavy. An Unconsecrated baby rocking in her cradle for eternity, for instance. Somehow the book seemed more adult than a YA novel at times, and maybe one of the reasons I didn't love the love triangle is because it reminded me that the book had more to offer than a love story. There were some pretty serious critiques of a society based on sameness and an overarching sense of safety (a la The Giver). If I taught a college class with older books, I would probably throw this novel in for good measure and explore some of those deeper issues.

I see The Dead-Tossed Waves in my future, but I haven't decided if I'll pick it up now or get a little space from this book first. In the meantime, visit Carrie Ryan's website.

13 comments:

  1. I know this book has been wildly popular, but I'm not enticed by zombies either. I really do need to read it since the author is originally from here and your review has piqued my interest some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've read so much about this novel, most of it glowing, that I really appreciate a different perspective. Zombies scare the crap out of me, honestly, so not sure I could get behind this one... but I just might give it a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off subject: I have Drood, too, and I'm so looking forward to reading it. Let's talk when we finish. Or, hopefully, before. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not into the whole Zombie thing so I probably wouldn't read this book BUT the description kind of reminds me of that M. Night Shyamalan movie "The Villiage". Anyway, happy reading Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh creepy a zombie baby - do not like...but it still sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been on the fence about this book for ages. I really don't like zombies, but everybody who read this book seemed to like it a lot. At the moment I'm thinking I'll wait until every book in the series gets written, and then wade in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this book myself but I do plan to pick it up eventually. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, glad to pique some interest! The zombies are actually handled very well. They're much more sophisticated than most zombies. lol

    Meg, thanks! It's worth the read, definitely. While there were parts I didn't love, I'm definitely glad I read it for the excellent atmosphere. And it was a departure from vampires!

    Bellezza, will definitely hit you up before and after Drood. :) I think it'll be coming up in my reading very soon.

    Funky, from what I know of The Village, YES!

    LOL, Jodie. That part really gave me chills. As did some other bits.

    Jenny, it was a good read, and I'm glad I picked it up even if I was deterred by the zombies in the beginning. I hope you get round to it when the whole series drops!

    Thanks, Samantha! I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL - I love that the zombies are soooooo five minutes ago..... so true... so true.

    I have this one on the shelf. I bought it and now there it sits. Waiting on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Andi, I am getting excited about baby time. Can't wait. Do you remember my friend Anna? We all had Jacobs Brit-Lit 2 class together? She is also having a baby on April 11th.
    Question: are the books Raven Stole the Moon and The Forest of Hands and Teeth suitable for my 10 year old granddaughter to read?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought this one during a stress-shopping binge and still haven't read it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I skimmed your review a bit, just in case; I'm hoping to read it soon. I've only read 2 zombie books, so I'm not sick of them, yet. Soon, probably, but not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The title just pulled me in so much. I enjoyed the book and look forward to the sequel.
    Funky, I was picturing "The Village" in my mind the whole time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked this book. I just recently read the sequel, and while I liked it, it wasn't quite as good...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!