Monday, March 01, 2010

HoldsFest 2010

It's a well-known fact in the blogiverse that holds always arrive at the library in clumps. I haven't had this problem too much in the past because it seems my library is always missing some of the "it" books that I decide I want to check out. Within the last week, though, I've placed oodles of good stuff on hold, and now two of them have arrived at the same time with more looming large on the horizon.

Yummies I've put on hold recently:




Aren't they pretty? I just wanna pet them all.

The first ones to come in, that I need to pick up on my way home today, as a matter of fact...are A Reliable Wife, by Robert Goolrick and The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery. I've heard endless good things about A Reliable Wife, but I'm going to admit my utter shallowness and tell you that if it didn't have that crimson dress on the cover, I might never have paid attention. I tend to be swayed by pretty things lately, and that color red is freakin' divine. I also downloaded a free sample to my Nook, and then I was doubly sold.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog seems to be a love/hate book floating around the 'sphere right now, and I just want to know where I fall in the continuum. I can't resist a little controversy.

As for the others, there are all sorts of reasons I chose to put them on hold. I love Sarah Addison Allen's escapist goodness; The Forest of Hands and Teeth looks really creepy, and Heather recommended it; The Girl with the Glass Feet appeals to the fairy tale lover in me, and I want to lick the cover; going Bovine looks wonderfully weird and Melissa reviewed it.

I won't go through all of them, but you get the gist.

With two of these beauties awaiting me at once, and seeing as I'm still stuck in Franny and Zooey and totally enamored of an unnamed novel coming up for review soon, I can only hope I'll have the time to read them right now. I would hate to have to re-hold them. Re-holding is one of life's great timesucks. Wish me luck!

What's come in for you lately? What morsels are still on hold?

10 comments:

  1. It looks like you've got some great books coming. A few of the covers really appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My holds always come in at the same time too! You've got some that I've been drooling over as well. And I love covers..it won't stop me from picking up a book but a good cover certainly helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I've heard nothing but great stuff about Elegance of the Hedghog. And I do hope you like Going Bovine... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been having a love/hate relationship with my library lately. I love that my holds come in and I hate that I never seem to have time to read all of the wonderful books that I check out at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have The Unnamed on my nook if you want to "borrow" it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely holds! I just (finally, finally) got White is for Witching in, and I'm waiting on Graceling. The library only recently switched to a new system and the holds are often really really slooooooow. Hopefully that'll change as they get accustomed but right now it's maddening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm listening to Going Bovine on audio right now - it's terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished the Joshua Ferris book about an hour ago. It was moving in a way I didn't expect. Much different than his first book (which I loved).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forest of Hands and Teeth is A-MAZING. I read it when I was still working at Random House and now I'm impatiently waiting for The Dead Tossed Waves (its companion novel) to come out. Library school doesn't have nearly as many perks as the publishing industry :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Becky! I could pet some of those covers, too. Of course, when I got my library copy of A Reliable Wife, it isn't even the cover I like so much. Boo!

    Samantha, which ones have you been drooling over? Covers won't stop me from picking a book up, either, but they sure can tempt me.

    Melissa, I hope I like it as much as some other bloggers have. Looks like I'll probably get to it after A Reliable Wife, though.

    Kathleen, I have the same problem. I check out so many books, I usually doom myself to failure because I never have time to polish them all off.

    Jill, I might have to take you up on that! I haven't gotten to try that feature yet.

    Jenny, I saw White is for Witching on my library's shelves and had no idea what it was about, but the title stuck in my head. Will have to investigate! I hope your library's system speeds up soon!

    Glad to hear it, Carrie! It looks like tons of fun.

    Thomas, this will be my first attempt at Ferris, so I'm looking forward to it. It sounds like you enjoyed The Unnamed, so that's heartening!

    LOL, Rachel! Library school definitely does not have as many perks. I can't wait to get my hands on Forest of Hands and Teeth. I started it in B&N one night, and it was hard for me to walk away in favor of the library copy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!