Monday, April 12, 2010

No Baby, Just Books

I bet you thought I was off having a baby, eh? Yeah, not so much. He's still warm and cozy apparently, and I'm a week away from my due date, so we'll see if he decides to emerge before then. We have a memorial service for my uncle tomorrow at 2:00, so my mom is putting her money on tonight or tomorrow, since she's almost sure this child will be as hard-headed and attention-fond as I was in my youth.

In the meantime, I've been bookish, and it's about darn time. I woke up Saturday with a single-minded determination to go to Barnes & Noble and check out the in-store content available exclusively on the Nook. I've meant to go do this for a while now, since I actually received my device in January, but it seems like the proverbial stars always align their shiny butts to stop me. The last time I went, my battery had just dipped below the point of no return, and for the life of me, I couldn't find my charger or an outlet.

This weekend I was prepared! Fully charged and ready to go!

So this is the way it works: You walk into a B&N and the Nook (we'll call him Dobby today) automatically connects to the store wi-fi, and voila! You have free content from cool authors. And coupons. I love coupons. I downloaded these goodies:

"A Dreadfully Good Interview with Austen-Loving, Zombie-Slaying Author Steve Hockensmith" - Hockensmith is the author of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls. If you're not already familiar, this is the prequel to PP&Z, which illustrates how Elizabeth came to be a zombie butt-kicker. The Q&A was really entertaining. When asked if he'd read Pride and Prejudice when he got the offer to write Dawn of the Dreadfuls, he writes:

I first read PP (as true fans don't call it) a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, otherwise known as college in teh late 1980s. I found it kind of frustrating as I recall, because nobody just came out and said what they were really feeling, which resulted in a lot of what seemed to me like unnecessary drama. to my 19-year-old  American male brain, it was infuriating. "Darcy, dude, just tell her you love her already! And don't be an ass about it!"
He later re-read and had a far finer view of things, I should add. I couldn't get into Pride & Prejudice and Zombies at all, but I'm kind of excited about Dawn of the Dreadfuls since the lack of original writing was what put me off of PP&Z.

To continue the undead theme, Carrie Ryan, author of The Forest of Hands and Teeth, offers some suggestions for survival in "How to Avoid a Zombie Death."

My favorite find of the trip was probably Rebecca Skloot's short essay, "From Veterinary Morgues to Immortal Cells: My Path to Writing About Science." It seems like everyone is reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks lately, so I'm sure Skloot's name is pretty familiar to y'all. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Come on, library holds list!

In the essay, Skloot writes about the "aha" moment when she realized she could move an audience by writing about science. Her topic: the veterinary morgue at the school she was attending to be a vet. She was maddened by the number of animals killed in the name of experimentation when there were interactive computer programs available to cut down on the deaths. Needless to say, her classmates were just as affected as she was, and it was a magic moment that set her off on her current path as a science writer.

Finally, I downloaded an Easter recipe from Giada de Laurentiis, "Pea Pesto Crostini." Everyone in my house is on a bruscetta kick, so I thought this might be a nice next step when we get sick of our bruscetta.

There was much more to download, but these were the ones that really struck my fancy.

And you know my wishlist didn't go unscathed as a result of this trip. Books added to my wishlist ("e" and otherwise) while sitting in B&N:

13 comments:

  1. If Greyson knew how many people are waiting for his appearance, he'd hurry up and get here already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding. Last week an unidentified woman called city hall--in my hometown where my mom is city secretary. Mom was out of the office for the morning, so the woman asked the city manager who answered the phone, "Well, do we have a baby yet?" No idea who it was. Not even a clue. Someone interested apparently. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greyson's probably in there saying he's only coming out when he's good and ready and not a moment sooner. :-)

    I am glad the stars finally were in alignment and you were able to download some great finds at B&N.

    I hope you have a good week, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only a week away? Holy moly that time went fast! Well, for me it did, probably not so much for you. :-)

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The concept of being able to connect to special content and offers inside a bookstore seems great. I wish they were as technologically (or commercially) advanced over here ;-).

    I have sworn of the zombie-austen books for now, but I have heard a lot of good things about Dawn of the Dreadfuls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No baby yet? Well at least you have your books and your nook to keep you company in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the P&P theme (he's got me doing it now) might I draw your attention to Jon Pinnocks rather odd online confection

    www.mrsdarcyvsthealiens.com

    The address is from memory, so it might be v rather than vs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine what it must be like to wait for your little one!

    And, I so want a nook or a kindle or something like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am seriously afraid of the damage I'd do with books being one click away. It's bad enough on amazon.com! I've heard wonderful things about the Nook, though, and now I'm not sure which to buy: that or the Kindle. I'll probably stick with Amazon.

    My son was two weeks late, supposed to born at Thanksgiving and the doctor finally induced labor around the first week of Advent. He's been late ever since! Not in any particular rush to go to college, either. Sigh...they do wear us out, in a good way. I'm thinking of you, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The countdown begins...
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first son was two weeks late, so I know all about the waiting! I hope that you aren't finding the waiting too bad - it won't be long until you have a little baby and I look forward to seeing all the cute pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, my friend just had a baby and it picked the most exciting time to come out, too. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dawn of the Dreadfuls was hilarious!

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!