Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Girl Who Chased the Moon

Not gonna mince words here or waste any time.

LOVED IT!

It started with Garden Spells, and then life stalled me on The Sugar Queen, but I'm totally back onboard with Sarah Addison Allen's third novel, The Girl Who Chased the Moon.

Set in the small town of Mullaby, North Carolina, Emily's mother dies and she goes to live with her grandfather--often called a giant--in the house where her mother grew up. Her mother, Dulcie, was great at keeping her past a secret...until Emily gets to Mullaby. Her mother was no peach in her youth, and the town is determined to take it out on her, until she meets the mysterious cutie-patootie, Win Coffey.

In the book's other storyline, Julia is Emily's mother's age and stuck back in Mullaby after living much of her adult life in Baltimore. After her father's death, she returns to the little town to take over his barbeque restaurant for a very strict two years so she can pay off the mortgage, sell the place, and open her dream bakery back in the big city. Sawyer, a sweet Southern gentleman (and total hottie), with whom Julia shares a past, has other plans.

As with Addison's other novels, I just wanted to lick this book the whole time I was reading it. It was deliriously sweet without being the slightest big annoying. Her literal descriptions of food are scrumptious. My mouth watered every time she wrote about one of Julia's cakes. On another level, the writing itself was decadent. Addison Allen reminds me so much of Alice Hoffman, but with lots more food in her stories. The magical elements I loved in this story: some mysterious "Mullaby lights," wallpaper that changes with the inhabitant's moods, and a seriously desirable "sweet sense" or ability to see a little sparkle coming off of sugar and other baked goods.

I downloaded this book to my Nook, and this was the first time since I've owned my device that I didn't "feel" the device. I didn't think about how I was reading off of a little screen; I was so sucked into the "pages" that I never gave it a second thought. Addison Allen's novels have a wonderful ability to draw me in, and I feel pleased and uplifted when I'm done reading.

If you're curious, go check out more info about this book from Addison Allen's website. There are even recipes for Julia's cakes.

15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this - it's number one on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this book, too! Loved it so much I might marry it. Tremendous! I'm so glad you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had Garden Spells on my TBR forever and now I want to read this one too...she sounds like a really great author...I really need to just read something of hers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous! I've read her other two books and loved them and I've been dying to read this one. So glad it didn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, I hope you can get your hands on it soon and that you love it as much as I did!

    Tammy, isn't it great? So warm and fuzzy.

    Chris, definitely go for it! Garden Spells is just as yummy as the cover. :)

    I hope you adore it when you get 'round to reading it, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have really enjoyed all of this author's books! As soon as I finish one I start wondering about the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I *just* finished it and I loved it too! Sarah can do no wrong in my book. And now I seriously want a piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad this series continues to be so good. Now to get started on it myself . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like everyone loved this book! I really need to read something by the author, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every time I read your reviews about her books, I want to go get them all. This time, I'm gonna do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your son is SOOOOOO adorable! I can't believe I'm just now seeing the pics and reading your birth story. I started thinking about you when I saw this post update and remembered you were due in April. :-) He is beautiful and I hope you love being a mother! Hopefully breastfeeding is better? I had a lot of problems as well. If you want to visit my personal blog it's http://christmasinmarch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marg, me too! I've already been to her website to see if I can get a glimpse of what the next novel will be. No luck!

    Heatheroo, it made me hungry for cake, too! I know I've had a Hummingbird cake at some point. lol

    Enjoy, Wendy!

    Kay, I hope you like your work when you get around to it. Addison Allen is a lot of fun.

    Do it, Becca! Do it! Watch me enable. lol

    Thanks so much, Andrea! I will definitely check out your personal blog. I'm sure there's tons there I could learn or relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just got this in from the library the other day. Now if I can just get to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this one as well. There's something about all her books. She can't write them fast enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book is absolutely charming. I would describe it as magical, mysterious, and romantic. An absolute must read that I will be recommending to all of my friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!