Saturday, May 15, 2010

New Books in My Life

Hey! Yep, it's me. I'm here, somewhat well rested and already dreading the return to work (May 24th). And I actually have something bookish to say today which is very out of the ordinary as of late. Where to begin?

Since I've been on maternity leave I've done almost absolutely no reading, which is no surprise to anyone with a little one in the house. I have managed to sneak a few moments, though. First, I stayed up all night a few nights ago helping Chuck with a research paper for his online English class. When I say all night, I mean alllll night. Ironically, that was the first night Greyson slept through the entire night and we figured out a magical baby trick to get him to do so. 

While Chuck was writing his brilliant paper, I read through an entire issue of the New York Times Book Review. It was a whopping 104 pages on my Nook, and it was by far the most I've read at a sitting in about...oh, four weeks (note: Greyson is four weeks old today).

While I haven't been reading much, that's not to say I haven't been adding to my stacks. Right before I delivered, Chuck and I went to a local rummage sale and I found the following yummy goodies:



Then I got some more yummy goodies in the mail:


So even though it's slow going, I have some great finds waiting for me. The only up side of going back to work--aside from that whole "making a living" thing--is the additional time to read. When office hours are slow or I have a lunch break, you can bet I'll be face-down in a book.

I also snatched a few minutes to read in the doctor's office waiting room yesterday. I have about 100 pages of Sarah Addison Allen's The Girl Who Chased the Moon left, and I'm enjoying this one just as much as Addison's previous books. I'll report back on that one soon.

I hope you're all having a wonderful, relaxing Saturday. I'm off to finish up some grading for an online class before I head back downstairs for additional reading and some family movie watching. And Greyson snuggling, too, but that's a given.

What have you read lately? Since I've been totally out of the bloggy loop, I could always use some recs.

12 comments:

  1. I find that I read less and less these days and i don't even have your good excuse. The Season of Second Chances is a lovely debut novel. I hope you enjoy it, and that your charm for keeping baby sleeping through the night continues to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The books will be there when you can get to them. Greyson will only be a teeny tiny for a little while - enjoy him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Girl Who Chased the Moon! I'm glad you are enjoying it as well.

    Don't worry...the reading will come. Give Greyson kisses for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow! The Spiritualist has been on my list for forever; let me know how you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read when you can but enjoy the baby at all times. It seems like The Girl went from infant to age 9 almost overnight.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of those but am intrigued by one titles in particular: The Master Butcher's Singing Club

    Good luck with the heading back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone else...the books will be there. I'm glad to hear that your baby boy is doing so well...good luck with going back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh! Four weeks old! The precious! I can totally understand the no reading time, I imagine you've been soaking up in the time off and the unnatural growth of your newborn.

    Welcome back! I can't wait to hear about your thoughts on Spiritualist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I point you in the direction of The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake which comes out June 1. Alice Hoffman meets Sarah Addison Allen. My review is at The Crowded Leaf. Glad all is going well for you!
    Alayne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to know if you are already reading books to baby Greyson! :)

    Glad you found the time to get in some reading and help Chuck with his paper. I read Season of Second Chances a month ago and it was cute. I love the whole campus setting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you have to go back to work fast don't you. I guess that's the problem with teaching courses. Ha when you mention being facedown in a book I can just see you face down snatching some more precious sleep.

    I also want to know if you're trying to read book to Grayson yet (nosy) :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicole, I'm always glad to see an endorsement of a book I'm reading. I really like the academic portion of it. I'm always a sucker for a novel dealing with academia in any way.

    Kathy, good point. I'm already dreading him not being tiny anymore.

    Tammy, I'm glad you liked it! I wish there were more hours in the day so I could move through it a little quicker.

    Will do, Amanda!

    Thanks for the advice, Anna. :) I was just reading while he was in his swing this morning, and I kept looking over at his cuteness. Couldn't help myself. :)

    Thanks, Fence! I'll need the luck going back to work.

    Thanks so much, Sam!

    Thanks, Lena!

    Thanks so much for the rec, Alayne! I love the title already. I feel an itch to order it on my Nook.

    Thanks, Iliana. I love the setting so far, too. Not reading to Greyson yet because it's uncomfy to hold him and a book at this point, but we're doing A LOT of singing.

    Jodie, that's exactly the kind of face down I'm probably dealing with at this point. lol It does suck going back to work so quickly. Hard to believe it's been 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!