Tuesday, May 25, 2010

No Longer a Chaise Lounge

Today is my first day back at work after five weeks off with Greyson. It's amazing and scary how fast it went, and it's bittersweet to be back in the office. I'm notorious for my inkling to go-go-go, so there are times that it's tough to be a chaise lounge for a newborn when I'd rather be up moving. However, I would also never trade the time I've had to spend hours staring at his little face, tickling his chin, and listening to him coo and watching him smile. I would much rather be at home with my boys and girls (Chuck included, and the Rockets), but this whole paycheck thing dictates that I work, so here I am.

I brought an adorable frame to hang at my desk so I can see him any time I want. And it helps that I only work five minutes away from our condo. In theory, I can go see him any time I want when I'm not trapped in meetings all day. Chuck is one lucky duck since he works from home right now. He gets to be Mr. Mom, and I have peace of mind NOT leaving Greyson in daycare.

Being a mom is the coolest thing I've ever done in my life, and here are some of the things I've learned or discovered or had reinforced in the last five weeks:

1. I never knew just how much I could adore someone I just met or how protective I could be.

2. I have a wonderful baby who makes this process so much easier. He is a great eater, a good sleeper, and he keeps to a pretty tight, normal schedule. Not too many surprises so far (KNOCK ON WOOD), and he's very agreeable except between the hours of 5 and 9.

3. I have a very nurturing partner. Chuck is great with the Rockets (13 and 12), but it's different seeing him with a baby. He's wonderful/fantastic with Greyson. In fact, he can calm the kiddo like no one else around.

4. The Rockets are great kids. While they do screw up normal teenage things sometimes (one of them is grounded now), they've been great help with the baby, and they enjoy him.

5. My mom is the funniest G-Mama ever. Barely a day goes by that she doesn't buy Greyson something, fawn over him, or generally act like all those other doting grandparents I've known. I just didn't know she had it in her after years of curling her lip at kids.

6. It's OK to get frustrated and/or need a break sometimes. It doesn't mean we don't love our kids. As a friend put it to me, "You have a stranger in your house who doesn't speak English, who wakes you up at all hours of the night, and screams. A lot.  It's OK if you don't always like him." This was true on a couple of constipated, screaming turdball nights. I still adore my child, but sometimes walking away for a few minutes is the best solution to remain sane.

7. I have more support from family and friends than I ever realized. That includes you sweet bloggers. Thanks for everything!

More pics coming soon!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you with your wonderful family but understand the bittersweet aspect of having to return to work. I imagine it is very hard, understandably so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your baby and have a good perspective on returning to work. Sounds like you have a great grasp on how to enjoy your new son...just relax and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So when are you going to write a book?! That was such a beautiful post, Andi. You should print out a copy and save it to share with Greyson when he's older.

    I'm so happy for you. Life truly is good, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't have said it better myself as I feel the same way about my own family. Congrats on your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad things are working out so well, but I want to see more pictures of Greyson!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!