Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Sunday Salon - On Accumulation

How many of us tend to accumulate books without even trying? Aside from the Advanced Readers we receive, the gifts, the contest winnings. How many of us still accumulate books maybe when we're not even reading very much?

I do! You know I do because I write about it all the time. The question is, HOW does this keep happening? The bottom line: books are comfort for me. They're a soft, squishy place where I curl up when my life is crazy.

I found myself in Barnes & Noble downloading free Nook content yesterday, and of course I managed to accumulate a few printed books and even one digital one.


I grabbed a remaindered hardcover copy of Sarah Addison Allen's The Sugar Queen. I started reading it ages ago from my library, but I think school got in the way and I laid it aside unfinished. I downloaded a copy of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for a decent price from B&N for my Nook. I've had my eye on it forever, and there's always an obscene waiting list for it at the library, so I decided to go ahead and take the plunge.

So it continues. These are not the only books to land on my stacks lately. A couple of pretty Hemingways found their way home with me from a neighborhood garage sale, and several e-books found their way to my wishlist yesterday in the store. More on those later.

For now, my son is at his G-Mama's house and I have some reading to do. I'm looking the other way so the laundry won't know it's being passed over. Still reading: The Season of Second Chances.

Posts on the horizon: Essays I've read lately, and a post on the marriage of magical realism and food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik