Monday, June 28, 2010

BookClubSandwich: An Online Book Group!

All brilliant ideas are born on Twitter. That's my new opinion. It seems as if everywhere I look in the blogosphere someone is starting a project as a direct result of a Twitter conversation. Yours truly is now one of those people and project partners.

Kim, (Sophisticated Dorkiness) and I have decided to start an online book club for readers interested in books involving food. Food memoirs, food growth, sustainable foodiness, high-brow and low-brow food. I'm sure you're all familiar with the deluge of food in books (not to be confused with food IN books) lately, so we decided to celebrate it.

BookClubSandwich's first pick will be: Coop, by Michael Perry!

Discussion begins here on August 16, 2010!

This seems to be the it food book going around. Everywhere I turn someone wants to read it, so what better choice to take this club out for a spin! Kim and I are not immune to Coop fever, either.

Discussion will open with a review of sorts--thoughts and questions--to be posted here on Monday, August 16th. A week later, Kim will post a recap and wrap-up of the discussion on her blog! During the course of the week, post your own thoughts/reviews and link them to the opening post, and you're all set. I'm almost positive there will be some sort of discussion stirring in the comments as well.

We discussed having a dedicated blog for BookClubSandwich, but given some busy schedules we decided to go Woolf in Winter style and use our blogs as home base instead.

Coming soon: sidebar-sized icons you can snag and wear proudly.

I hope you'll join us for our inaugural discussion! If you'd like, leave a comment expressing your interest.

*Note: the logo/button was designed by my very talented Chuck. If you ever need design work done, let us know! The website for his company, D'Aprix Graphics is under construction, but you can visit anyway.

20 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Count me in! Even if I've already read COOP, I can discuss the heck out of it.

    Great idea ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We, the ladies and gent of Forkful of News, are so into this. (See: Forkful Book Club, which has reviews of cookbooks and other food-related nonfiction.)

    I am in love with the Best Food Writing series -- check it out and it can give you ideas for future authors!

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so fun! As a dedicated foodie, I have to say I'm quite excited! And the opening post is on my birthday! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd like this, count me in!
    (Well, if A) the library has it b) I remember and c) I am not in labor! due day is 9/16 but the Bug was born 4 weeks early!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Count me in, too. I've not read COOP, but it's been on my TBR list for ages, so woot! Great idea, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've already read it, and loved it, so I will come discuss! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea. I don't own Coop, so I'm not sure if I could jin you for this one (depends on vacation planning/money, etc), but I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not that big on these type of books (I'm sorry!) but I will look forward to your discussion on this one. Who knows, I may end up becoming a foodie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am definitely in for the book club, but I am not sure if I will make this first meeting. It depends on how wiped out I am after taking the bar at the end of July. Hopefully, I will be energized and able to finish the book and participate in discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm 100% in!! I love this Andi :D I'll have to get my hands on Coop, but I'll be here August 16th!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have really seen a trend in these types of books of late but have yet to read one...count me in!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! I'm in! There are so many food-related books that I want to read but haven't made the time for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Forgot to ask: what genius made your button? It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the logo! I'm afraid to join, though, as my reading and computer time seems to suffer so much during the summer months. I'll lurk, if that's alright. I love these kind of books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh! Fun! Count me in (that is if I can get hold of this book).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea! I'll see if I can get the book and read it in time. Would love to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds really cool. I've never understood Book Clubs too much but I've also never participated in one. I'd love to participate but don't know if I have time to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sign me up. Though I'll bet $10 that I'll forget to show up for the discussion because I'm am having that kind of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome idea! Hopefully I can get my hands on a copy of Coop and be all set to discuss away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving the idea! am on my way to pick up my copy now, count me in! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!