Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Catch All: Books, Recipes, Challenges!

So much to say and so little time! That's a big fat lie. I'm not really pressed for time since my boss just left for the day, and I don't teach until 7:30 tonight. I'm a captive at work for a whopping 7.5 hours and all the grading is caught up for a change.

What's a girl to do but blog?

First, with all the talk of food and home-growin' it, we enjoyed our first harvest of sweet banana peppers last night. Try this out:

Stuffed Banana Peppers

6 sweet banana peppers
6 strips of bacon
4 oz of cream cheese
2 cloves of garlic
parsley (a sprinkling)
dill (lots)

Cut the tops off of the peppers and a slit down one side. Remove the seeds and ribs. Mix the cream cheese, garlic, parsley, and dill. Stuff the banana peppers with the cream cheese mixture. Wrap each pepper in one slice of bacon. I curled the bacon over the open end of my pepper and secured it with a toothpick. Broil the yummy little midgets on a low rack for approximately 20 minutes or until the bacon is crispy and the pepper is tender.

Normally, I would bake these little bad boys for about 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven, but our oven is out! How crazy does that drive the home cook, I ask you? Crazy as a bedbug, that's how crazy! These were delcious and sweet and salty and grand. A perfect appetizer or side dish. And from our own "garden." Yay! You could also grill these and they would be spectacular. Not healthy at all, but muy tasty.

In other news, I'll be participating in my first Bloggiesta this weekend. It's hosted by the lovely Natasha of Maw Books. I've already warned my family that I have some bloggy goodness to attend to this weekend, so they'd better expect that I'll be MIA for a bit. On the agenda:

  • Make sure my top-links are working (need to re-link since I changed my template)
  • Post my new review policy. I had one of these back in the day, but I took it down for some reason. Pregnancy craziness, maybe? I dunno.
  • Unveil a new bloggy project! I have a new feature which will be debuting, and hopefully my readerly twins out there will love it as much as I do.
  • Get in touch with some favored publicists since I'm ready to start receiving some ARCs on a limited and very picky basis. With a baby in the house, I still don't zip through books as fast as I'd like.
 I'm sure I'll come up with some other blog housekeeping that I've been putting off, but that's to-be-announced as I figure it out myself.

Finally, I'm alllllmost done with The Season of Second Chances. Watch for that review later today or tomorrow.

Happy Hump Day! That's Wednesday, you dirty-minded birds.

4 comments:

  1. The peppers sound delicious! I hope you get a lot done this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gees, I'm such a sucker for banana peppers... I could eat them all day and all night! That recipe sounds delicious. As soon as I can convince my family that they should try them with me, I'll be all over it!

    Good luck with the Bloggiesta this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kathy!

    Meg, they're especially good baked or broiled or grilled. The flavor is so much richer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, that recipe sounds so good! I'm not growing any banana peppers, but I am growing some jalapenos and I bet it would be just as good with those! I'm totally trying that out!

    And good luck with all of your projects :) They sound great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!