Friday, June 25, 2010

The Impending Bookgasm

So I was sitting around picking my nose at work today because I've already graded half of the assignments turned in yesterday, and I won't be in the office much longer today, AND I'm here with nothing to do but grade for a whopping nine hours on Monday. What better time to blog? But I found myself in quite the quandary: nothing to write about! Then I laughed and slapped my knees and thought, "But there are all those tasty new books to read!"

 
These are the books you'll see appearing here soon. Many projects and deadlines are involved, so you can bet I'll be whipping through them pretty darn fast.

 

 

 
First on the menu, Scarlet Thomas's really weird-sounding novel, Our Tragic Universe. Jackie from Farm Lane Books wrote a great review of it, and I knew I had to try it. The publisher explains the tangle of ideas in this book far better than I could at this point:
Can a story save your life? Meg Carpenter is broke. Her novel is years overdue. Her cell phone is out of minutes. And her moody boyfriend's only contribution to the household is his sour attitude. So she jumps at the chance to review a pseudoscientific book that promises life everlasting. But who wants to live forever? Consulting cosmology and physics, tarot cards, koans (and riddles and jokes), new-age theories of everything, narrative theory, Nietzsche, Baudrillard, and knitting patterns, Meg wends her way through Our Tragic Universe, asking this and many other questions.
Sounds tempting, eh? Sort of reminds me of Paul Auster's surreal weirdness in some of his novels. I really can't resist a book like this.

 
Next is an e-galley of The Little Prince THE GRAPHIC NOVEL illustrated by Joann Sfar!!! I am hesitant to admit that when I read the picture book--as an adult, you should note--I didn't really see what all the hooplah was about. Sure, it's a sweet story, yadda yadda. However, I am really excited to see it as a graphic novel, and I think it'll push things to a new level for me as a graphic novel-loving adult.

 
Next, another e-galley, this time a copy of The Best American Comics 2010, edited by NEIL GAIMAN!!! Are you bouncing in your seat a little bit, too??? I seriously can't wait to see which works Neil has pulled to showcase this year.

 
The next round of books all have to do with food or sustainable living. I'm on a real kick with these right now as I'm working my way through The Backyard Homestead and drooling over several other books.

 

It's no secret that I've been jonesing to read Coop, by Michael Perry. When Heather offered to be saintly and send her copy on to me, I almost wet myself. Thanks, Heather!

In a sweet, but somewhat selfish gesture, I picked up on Chuck's comment that he wanted to own copies of The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan and The Urban Homestead by Kelly Coyne. I mean, it's not toooo selfish because he really did want these in the house, and I just happen to want to read them, too. No harm there, right? It's really a smart, economical gifting choice! It didn't take much to convince me.

Finally, I happened upon Ten Acres is Enough by Edmund Morris when I was looking for small press or e-books for Estella's Revenge E-Zine. It falls into the sustainable living category, but it was first published in 1867!!! I was really surprised and sort of intrigued when I saw the year and realized that it falls into line with my 2010 sensibilities. Why not give it a try, too?! Read more about this and other awesome e- and print books at Dminoz.

Other titles coming up or whispering to me from my library stack and Nook:
  • Horns, by Joe Hill
  • The Art of Disappearing, by Ivy Pochoda
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society which everyone already knows about.
  • Vanity Fair, by William Thackeray which is long and scary.

14 comments:

  1. Wow, don't you just love trying to look productive at work when you are, uh, blogging? I am all over that graphic novel version of The Little Prince and envying you Coop. And hey, I like Auster surreal weirdness. Happy nose-picking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frances, well I didn't feel so bad today when my boss came in, sat down, and said, "I'm done with everything and bored." We have about 40 students taking classes on our college campus on Friday, so it's a bit of a tomb.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally jealous that you've got Coop in your TBR pile! By the way, we want more pictures of Greyson!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Kathy! More pics of Greyson coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our Tragic Universe sounds really cool. I'm off to add it to my TBR on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brain is baffled that you were unimpressed by The Little Prince. I am not necessarily in strong support of a graphic novel - I feel like either they'd have to try to match St. Exupery's illustrations style, which is already perfect for the story, or they'd have to do them quite different, which would be all weird and wrong. I'm curious to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh yes! More Greyson pictures please :) I think Coop sounds interesting..this is the first I've heard about it so I'll be interested to hear your thoughts at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts on Our Tragic Universe. It is one of a kind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The graphic novel of The Little Prince looks interesting. I have to admit that I didn't quite know why the illustrated version was considered so very special either.

    And I am jealous of all the "natural food" books you get to read. I should really read some myself someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't really wowed by The Little Prince either, Andi. I'll be anxious to hear what you think of the graphic novel format, though!

    Do you have a copy of Horns? If not, I'm getting ready to offer it up in a give-away so you might want to hold off buying it. :)

    And, yes!! More pix of Greyson!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you see Michael Perry's pieces this week in Shelf Awareness? He wrote from the road about being on tour for Coop. Now I'm even more determined to read the darn book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our Tragic Universe is on my gigantic TBR pile, so I can't wait to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our Tragic Universe sounds mighty intriguing. Can't wait to read your thoughts on it. The Little Prince as a graphic novel is a wonderful idea, long overdue. So, when can we see more pictures of your own Little Prince?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy it when you get 'round to it, Steph! I'm going to start it when I finish Guernsey.

    LOL, Jenny! I'll keep you posted. I think The Little Prince was a victim of hype and age for me.

    Ooooh, Samantha! Do I have a Coop surprise coming up for you. I can't say more now, but wait til later today. Whahahah!

    Thanks, Jackie! Can't wait to dive in.

    Iris, I'm glad someone else is in the same camp in regards to The Little Prince. And I loooove food and sustainable living type books. It's become a bit of an obsession.

    Les, I grabbed a copy of Horns from my library. Started it the other night while Chuck was making dinner and was quickly grossed out. lol

    Jill, I saw where he Twittered about those pieces, but I haven't read them yet. I think I'm going to go back and savor them all at once.

    Thanks, Trisha! Will report in when I'm done. :)

    I'll keep you posted on both, DS. I'm very excited to read them. And I'm lucky my little prince likes having his pics taken. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!