Monday, July 26, 2010

The Books JUMPED into My Cart!

That's a big fat lie--the books did NOT just jump into my cart--but I got your attention, huh? In fact, I received a book I won in a contest, one that I shamelessly downloaded on Nook, and one from an author. Here we go...

Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show, by Frank Delaney was a prize from the effervescent and always delightful Musings of a Bookish Kitty. I actually received an opportunity to review this one from the publisher a while back, but it's about a traveling show. I shy away from books about traveling shows. The blurb:

January 1932: While Ireland roils in the run-up to the most important national election in the Republic’s short history, Ben MacCarthy and his father watch a vagabond variety revue making a stop in the Irish countryside. After a two-hour kaleidoscope of low comedy, Shakespearean recitations, juggling, tumbling, and other entertainments, Ben’s father, mesmerized by Venetia Kelly, the troupe’s magnetic headliner, makes a fateful decision: to abandon his family and set off on the road with Miss Kelly and her caravan. Ben’s mother, shattered by the desertion, exhorts, “Find him and bring him back,” thereby sending the boy on a Homeric voyage into manhood, a quest that traverses the churning currents of Ireland’s fractious society and splinters the MacCarthy family.
When I entered the contest for this book I'd had a change of heart. I seem to be craving reading of a historical bent lately which is tooootally weird for me. Hey, I'm going with it, though! When I was pregnant I ate what I craved and I had a really cool, dashing baby, so now I'm indulging my reading cravings. I figure it represents some bookish "mineral" I'm missing in my diet. Sounds possible, right?

I also read Delaney's wife's book, The Season of Second Chances (by Diane Meier), and I had veryyyy mixed feelings about it. Hoping I have better luck with Delaney.

I received Love in Mid Air from the author, Kim Wright. Somewhere the cover claims to hook the reader with the first page, so Chuck decided to put it to the test. Sure enough, he read the first page, kept going, and ended up reading five pages. Rocketgirl did the same, so I'm looking forward to this one. She's already begging to read it, too. We'll see...

A chance encounter with a stranger on an airplane sends Elyse Bearden into an emotional tailspin. Suddenly Elyse is willing to risk everything: her safe but stale marriage, her seemingly perfect life in an affluent Southern suburb, and her position in the community. She finds herself cutting through all the instincts that say no and instead lets yes happen. As Elyse embarks on a risky affair, her longtime friend Kelly and the other women in their book club begin to question their own decisions about love, sex, marriage, and freedom. There are consequences for Elyse, her family, and her circle of close friends, all of whom have an investment in her life continuing as normal. But is normal what she really wants after all?
Finally, in this mixed bag of reading, I downloaded a book I've been eyeing for a while now: Simon Mawer's The Glass Room. I'm completely taken with the idea of this book as it integrates architecture--one of my favorite things--and WWII. It looks terribly literary and captivating.

The latest from novelist Mawer (The Fall) begins with great promise, as Jewish newlyweds Viktor and Liesel Landauer meet with architect Rainier von Abt, not just an architect but "a poet...of light and space and form," who builds their dream home, a "modern house...adapted to the future rather than the past, to the openness of modern living." World events, however, are about to overtake 1930s Czechoslovakia.
In other news, I think my reading has taken over my brain. I woke up last night after a wickedly vivid dream that was somewhere between The Passage and The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Zombie invaders had taken over a compound where I lived. We tried lights, guns, hiding, etc. and there was always some way those little buggers snuck in. It was an extremely vivid dream--terribly "action movie"--and I woke up unsettled and looking around for Virals or the Unconsecrated. Ugg! It's all fun and games until someone dreams about losing a chunk of flesh.

I got tied up with "stuff" yesterday, so I didn't get to do a Sunday Salon post. Am still trying to finish Beatrice and Virgil. Only about 50 pages left, so I'll polish it off sometime today. Still up in the air about what I think of this one. More to come!

Happy Monday! Oh, and that reminds me...I think this is my first time participating in Mailbox Monday! How did I manage to not participate for so long? I have no idea. Pure laziness, I suspect. It's hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page.

28 comments:

  1. Hey, I've had books jump in my cart before, so I know it's possible! I love the way your family tested Love in Mid Air! Enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, thanks Kathy. I have too! They're like fun-to-read trout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shoot books jump out at me all the time! When I was packing books for my beach trip, ROOM literally threw itself off my desk and into the bad. I figured it was a sign so I let it stay. Turned out to be my favorite book of the trip! What do you call that phenomena? Bookicide? Bookendipity? Prophetibook? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Into the BAG. Geez. Into the BAG! I think I need a vacation. *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm dying to read Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show! Happy reading! I didn't get a chance to do up a mailbox this week, but I do have a Reading Recap and a Giveaway if you'd like to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting collection of books you got this past week!
    i'll be interested to know what you think of 'love in mid air' especially with your family's response to it.

    happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy the new books! :) My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "jumped into cart" . . . hmmm, that's what hubby says about cookies. I'm on to you guys, don't think I'm not! Ha, good one. Enjoy all your new reads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheeky books...I've come to the conclusion that books have no shame. They're always begging to come with me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Come HOME with me. Good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, Heather! I love those little bookendipity moments, don't you? That's my vote for the new term, by the way. :) Bookendipity is a perfectly wonderful word.

    Thanks for stopping in, Lady Q! I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on Venetia Kelly. Hope you get to read it soon!

    Toothybooks, I'm curious what I'll think of that one, too! Beautiful cover, so whatever the case, I'll enjoy staring at it!

    Thanks, Alayne!

    LOL, Kaye! I've been known to say that about books AND cookies! Your hubs and I are on the same wavelength.

    Jill, cheeky is an understatement! They scream at me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These books sounds great! Oh, my TBR list continues to grow...!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing wrong with a change of heart! And I love it when I dream books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh all of these sound so good. I have heard some good stuff about the Mawer book so you'll have to keep us posted!

    PS - I don't think I've ever participated in Marcia's meme either and it's because I've been too lazy to plan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...I didn't know that Frank Delaney was married to Diane Meier...I have The Season of Second Chances on my TBR pile, but I never made the connection.
    I have read one of Delaney's Ireland books...Tipperary I think...
    Enjoy your week reading, and please stop by if you have a chance.
    TheBookGirl

    ReplyDelete
  16. Um, I don't see Soulless on that list . . . :)

    Hurray for books jumping into carts! I love when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw Frank Delaney at the Empire State Book Festival this spring, and hearing him speak about his research process was fascinating. The book didn't appeal to me before that, but now I do want to read it. I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had the same problem at Target last week! Really I did! Enjoy your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  19. "When I was pregnant I ate what I craved and I had a really cool, dashing baby, so now I'm indulging my reading cravings."...Sounds perfectly reasonable to me!

    But come on you damn zombies--give the woman a break! Sheesh, don't they know that new mothers need peaceful sleep whenever they can get it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great looking reads! Enjoy them all! -

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want to read Love in Mid Air. I managed to participate in Mailbox Monday only once, a few weeks ago. I don't know what it is with me and Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Coffee and a Book Chick, I hear ya! It's dangerous for me to go a'surfing the Mailbox Monday posts.

    Trisha, I'd much prefer to dream a pleasant book! One where I'm not about to get killed. lol Why can't I dream The Girl Who Chased the Moon?

    Will keep you posted, Iliana. I'm really looking forward to The Glass Room.

    Thanks, Cathy!

    Thanks for stopping by, Book Girl! I'm excited to pick up Venetia Kelly. In fact, that might be the next book I dive into.

    LOL, Emily! Not YET. Working on it, though. :)

    Nomad, I would've loved to hear him speak about this. Looking forward to the book.

    LOL, Thanks Beth!

    Amen, Debi! I had a hard time going to sleep at all last night, and then the baby woke me up at 6:30. I'm surprised I was able to stay upright today.

    Thanks, Sheila!

    I'll keep you posted on Love in Mid Air, Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah, books jump into my cart all the time too! You're the second person to blog about a The-Passage-inspired dream! I'm starting to think I shouldn't read that book in the end...

    Enjoy your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope you enjoy the Venetia Kelly book as much as I did. It took me about 60 pages to really get in the story, but I ended up liking it a lot. I have The Glass Room but haven't read it yet. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really liked Venetia Kelly - much more than I expected to considering the concept of a traveling show. Delaney is a great storyteller!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've got both Venetia Kelly and The Glass Room on my shelves right now begging to be read. They both seem great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!