Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Grow It Like Ya Mean It

The Backyard Homestead, edited by Carleen Madigan, was one of those browse from time to time type of reads. It's all about growing your own food and raising your own meat on as little as a 1/4 of an acre of land. What a concept! Seeing as Chuck and I have turned out very urban patio into a garden, I was truly thrilled to get my hands on this book.

That said, because we don't have 1/4 acre of land, not all of this book applied to us. Obviously we can't keep chickens or goats in a condo--though the Rockets occasionally nibble on tin cans and other sundry throwaways and Daisy loves to eat socks--so I skimmed those parts that are wildly out of reach for us. Other skimmed parts: how to grow wheat or make one's own beer from home-grown hops. I did like that the book included multiple homestead plans based on different sized plots of land. There was a 1/4 acre plan, a 1/2 acre plan, as well as additional sizes.

Many sections of this book were highly applicable to our everyday lives now in our limited (TINY) space. I was especially fond of the herb guide since we have a slew of herbs. So far we have a whole pot of Thai basil, a pot of regular basil, a pot of mint (English and spearmint), a small pot of apple mint, and a mixed pot of herbs with curry, oregano, cilantro, tri-color sage, basil, lemon verbena, marjoram, and...you guessed it...mint! We like basil and mint, can you tell? The herb guide described the best ways to prune herbs, best climates for herbs, and a basic description of each and how they grow. Oh, and I should mention, we also have a bunch of herbs planted in the ground along our fenceline: parsley, sage, chives, dill, cilantro, a eucalyptus plant, and a serrano pepper plant. I learned a great deal from this section, and our herbs are far more plentiful for it. I'm also harvesting some of them to dry and store in the colder months. We plan to winter them inside, but who knows how that will go with limited sunlight inside and some crappy windows to work with.

Pictures of our bountiful patio coming soon!

I also really enjoyed the sections on preserving food. We find GREAT deals on fruits and veggies at the Farmers Market this time of year, and given the time I would love to preserve some of these yummies for the winter months when there's far less available. The step-by-step canning, freezing, and drying instructions were excellent, and there are a number of recipes included as well.

I'm thrilled that I bought this book for Chuck for Father's Day because it's a kick-ass reference. As I was reading, I REALLY wished we had more space to work with RIGHT NOW. But I guess I should cool my jets a bit. Not sure I could handle a paddock of pigs at the moment with everything else going on. It gives me something to aspire to. Oink!

Now that I've finished The Backyard Homestead, I'm on to The Urban Homestead, by Kelly Coyne. I may not read it immediately, but it is lingering in my near future when I can square away some review books.

I hope the Americans had a great 4th of July, and to the rest of my bloggy readers, I hope you had a wonderful weekend and start to your week. We spent some time watching fireworks, blowing up our own fireworks (no fingers were harmed in the process), and we saw Eclipse. What have you been up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik