Friday, July 02, 2010

My Stash, Your Stash, Everywhere a Book Stash

The Nook is an addiction largely because I can download anything at any time. While I used to do silly things like sleep through the night and wait for the bookstore to open in the morning, now I can just order from bed whenever the mood strikes. My self-control was called into question today when Kim shared a link to free American classics e-books from Barnes and Noble. Really, how can anyone say NO to a free book? E- or otherwise?

As readers, I think most of us would admit to craning our necks on buses, planes, and trains to see what our fellow passengers are reading...or just flat-out pawing people's bookshelves when given the chance. It's always sort of fun and brings out the voyeur in every reader when we can sneak a peek at others' collections. In the spirit of bookish investigation, I thought I'd share what I've downloaded to my Nook in the few short months I've had it. It's really almost shameful. Almost. These are ordered from my first downloads to my latest (as of 10 minutes ago).
  • Little Women (Alcott) - pre-loaded
  • Dracula (Stoker) - pre-loaded
  • The House of the Seven Gables (Hawthorne)
  • The Help (Stockett)
  • Persuasion (Austen)
  • The Scarlet Letter (Hawthorne)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Verne)
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Hugo)
  • A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (Twain)
  • Jane Eyre (Bronte)
  • The Girl Who Chased the Moon (Addison-Allen)
  • The Shop on Blossom Street (Macomber)
  • The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker (Hieber)
  • My Antonia (Cather)
  • God Don't Like Ugly (Monroe)
  • Madame Bovary (Flaubert)
  • Vanity Fair (Thackeray)
  • Adam Bede (Eliot)
  • The Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas)
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Shaffer and Barrows)
  • The Passage (Cronin)
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Hockensmith)
  • Essential Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
  • Leaves of Grass (Whitman)
  • Uncle Tom's Cabin (Stowe)
  • Daisy Miller and Washington Square (James)
Can you tell most of the classics are free?? Sadly, I don't really read classics *that* often, but this way I figure I'm never stuck without a book. And in my defense, I intend to read each and every one of these classics at some point (famous last words).

So what books have you been stashing lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik