Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Sunday Salon (I'm Back!) and Saturday Farmer's Market

I haven't done a Sunday Salon post in ages, and do you want to know why? I've been unplugged at home for almost 3 months. Shortly after Greyson was born, my beloved Toshiba laptop started having "issues" to put it nicely. I now know those issues were a result of multiple viruses that finally dragged it down so low it stopped working completely.

Since then, I held onto the computer for better than a month here at home because I didn't miss it that much and I don't teach online during the summer, but I finally dropped it off at my trusty computer repair shop, and they've had it for almost a month due to various extenuating circumstances.

In short, it's back! It's weird to be typing away in bed on a Sunday morning. This was my routine for a very long time, so it's good to be back and also sort of odd, too. Greyson is sleeping, squeaking in his crib occasionally, Chuck is snoring it up next to me, and Daisy is curled up against my leg. And I'm reading blogs! Wooohooo!

With all that out of the way, what's shaking for The Sunday Salon? Well, I ignored the family for a few hours last night in favor of finishing The Passage. And OHMYGOD, I can't wait to write the review.

Today I'll be starting Ten Acres is Enough for review in the upcoming grand re-opening issue of Estella's Revenge E-Zine. In other bookish news, Rocketgirl finished a book yesterday and was hunting for something else to read. Since she's going into high school this upcoming school year, I've pretty much (pretty much!) given her free reign to read whatever she wants off my bookshelves. She'd chosen The Time Traveler's Wife, but I also mentioned that she would LOVE To Kill a Mockingbird. She chose Mockingbird, and I didn't see her for the rest of the night. I hope that's a good sign.

In other news, I decided to participate in Heather's Saturday Farmer's Market today, even though I'm a day late and several dollars short. These pics are from a visit to the Dallas Farmers Market several weeks ago. I should be posting pics of my own patio garden, but I'm too lazy to go dig through Chuck's camera bag for the point and shoot I used to take those pics. You'll get those next weekend. In the meantime...


As usual, you can click for the larger version, and it's really worth it for all the colors and textures. Most of the booths aren't this stacked, but when Chuck saw this one, the camera clicking started immediately. They really did have a stunning setup of all kinds of veggies, local honeys, and other goodies. I wanted to stick my face in the veggie pile, personally. There's probably a psychological term for wanting to motor boat the tomatoes.

So what's in store for your Sunday? Any good reading today? Do share. Maybe I can add MORE to my wishlist.

21 comments:

  1. I hear you on the computer issues. Mine has been acting up. Isn't The Passage great? I loved it.

    All that food looks awesome. I wish our market had that much variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food looks amazing. I wish we had a market like that nearby!

    I'm glad to hear you enjoyed The Passage. And that you're back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I love the veggie pics -- I'm a vegan, so this is a fabulous sight to see! And I'm reading The Monsters of Templeton today -- so far, I'm kind of enjoying it!

    And I've heard so much about The Passage!! I think I'm going to have do a little visit to the bookshop today...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. The veggies look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait to hear your opinion of The Passage. I have mixed emotions and am waiting for that one review that convinces me either way.

    And also, I love that you wanna motor boat tomatoes. That is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that you enjoyed The Passage so much! I've been lax in posting for the Sunday Salon as well...maybe next week *grin*
    Hope you have a great week in reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa...your farmer's market puts ours to shame! (That's okay--I love ours anyway.) But seriously, what gorgeous photos!

    And I really do need to get my hands on The Passage! (My hubby's b'day's coming up--it would make a lovely gift, don't you think?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you're back to posting TSS--they are my favorite posts to read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you back. I too had computer issues. Infact I had almost bought a new one. But the sale fell through.

    I came home, and dismantled my PC and again connected it. It is working great now.

    Here is my Sunday Salon post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, I really need to get myself down to the Dallas Farmers market. Shame on me for not going in nearly four years of being here.

    As for reading, I'm nearly done with the Dead Beat - should finish it today actually, after managing to somehow move my brand new (to me) leather reading chair and ottoman into my study. Definitely looking forward to cuddling up in it with my stack of 12 books to read! So far I've really enjoyed the Dead Beat - one chapter kind of dragged for me but it's got me googling obituaries and the death clock website now....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy to see you've returned to the Real World (this is the Real World, isn't it?) Congratulations on the wonderful new bambino. Keep us posted as to his progress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a wonderful Sunday morning. Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope Rocketgirl will write some reviews!

    The farmers' market looks awesome and makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that Rocketgirl picked up The Time Traveler's Wife :D It's very cool that she's reading To Kill a Mockingbird instead right now because I think she'll LOVE that one, but I hope she goes back to TTW! The first time I read that is an experience I'll never forget.

    Your farmers market!!! Wow!! Such incredibly beautiful produce :D Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you have your computer back, Andi!

    I look forward to reading your thoughts on The Passage. It's one I've held off on buying (I admit that a part of me is hoping someone will see fit to give me an e-reader for my birthday this year and maybe I can buy it then--that's a long shot though).

    I'm excited about Estella's Revenge E-Zine coming back. It's been the hot topic in one of my yahoo groups thanks to Nancy (Bookfool).

    I haven't cracked open a book yet today, sad to say. It's been a crazy day. Hopefully I'll be able to do that tonight before bed.

    Have a great week, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let us know what Rocketgirl thinks of TKAM. I love the food pictures! So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you had a fabulous Sunday. I did my fair share of lounging around :)

    The pictures of the market are great. When I lived in Dallas, being that I was up in the north burbs I hardly ever went to the Farmer's Market. I don't know if there is one near you but Sprouts is a great store.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chris, The Passage IS great! I can't wait to finish and post my review. And the Dallas Farmers Market is one of the biggest in the country, so it's pretty darn impressive (overwhelming). lol It's a lot of fun.

    Iris, it's great to have it so close. We've become regulars since it's only about 12-15 miles from our house.

    Coffee and Book Chick, thanks for stopping by! The farmers market really is a vegan's dream. Lovely, lovely produce. Looking forward to your thoughts if you get hold of The Passage!

    Thanks, C.B.!

    Christina, I will do my utmost very best to tip you toward the "read it" side of The Passage. I just loved it. And what better to motor boat than tomatoes??!

    Thanks, Samantha! I'll try to be a regular TSS contributor now that I have my 'puter back. Makes it much easier.

    Debi, I've never been to a farmer's market like the one in downtown Dallas. It's really old and established, and there's LOTS of rural land outside of Dallas to grow stuff on. With a really long growing season. So I guess we're just sort of cut out for it in this area. Definitely think you should buy The Passage for your hubs. lol

    Thanks, Lola!

    Gautami, glad you got your computer running again!!! Enjoy!

    Jen, I can't wait to read The Dead Beat. I'm glad you've enjoyed it for the most part. And get yourself to the farmer's market! You would adore it! You can practically make a whole meal of the free fruit and veggie samples they pass out as you walk around the place.

    Thanks, Ms. Debbie Readerbuzz!

    It was lovely! Thanks, Trisha!

    Kathy, funny you should mention Rocketgirl writing some reviews. She actually has one that'll be posted later this week. She's also reading and planning to post about To Kill a Mockingbird.

    Chris, I was glad she chose Mockingbird, too. It's just such a magical book. She's bad about laying books aside if they don't catch her interest in the first two or three pages, but I told her to stick with this one for the first chapter or three, and she has, and she's liking.

    Wendy, I held off buying The Passage as long as I could, but at $10 for the e-book, I figured what the heck. I'm soooo bad at reading chunksters, I never really knew if I'd finish, but it sure grabbed me and I could barely stand to put it down! I'll cross my fingers that an e-reader comes your way. :)

    Thanks, Vasilly! I'm sure I'll post Rocketgirl's thoughts when she's done. :)

    Iliana, we do have a Sprouts right down the street! I don't know why we don't shop there more because they have beautiful produce and reasonable prices. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can't wait to hear what you think of The Passage! I recently finished the book as well and I actually have sort of mixed emotions about it, haven't written the review yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, again -- I just linked your site to my blog as a site providing a review soon on The Passage! Can't wait to read your review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!