Monday, July 26, 2010

The Books JUMPED into My Cart!

That's a big fat lie--the books did NOT just jump into my cart--but I got your attention, huh? In fact, I received a book I won in a contest, one that I shamelessly downloaded on Nook, and one from an author. Here we go...

Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show, by Frank Delaney was a prize from the effervescent and always delightful Musings of a Bookish Kitty. I actually received an opportunity to review this one from the publisher a while back, but it's about a traveling show. I shy away from books about traveling shows. The blurb:

January 1932: While Ireland roils in the run-up to the most important national election in the Republic’s short history, Ben MacCarthy and his father watch a vagabond variety revue making a stop in the Irish countryside. After a two-hour kaleidoscope of low comedy, Shakespearean recitations, juggling, tumbling, and other entertainments, Ben’s father, mesmerized by Venetia Kelly, the troupe’s magnetic headliner, makes a fateful decision: to abandon his family and set off on the road with Miss Kelly and her caravan. Ben’s mother, shattered by the desertion, exhorts, “Find him and bring him back,” thereby sending the boy on a Homeric voyage into manhood, a quest that traverses the churning currents of Ireland’s fractious society and splinters the MacCarthy family.
When I entered the contest for this book I'd had a change of heart. I seem to be craving reading of a historical bent lately which is tooootally weird for me. Hey, I'm going with it, though! When I was pregnant I ate what I craved and I had a really cool, dashing baby, so now I'm indulging my reading cravings. I figure it represents some bookish "mineral" I'm missing in my diet. Sounds possible, right?

I also read Delaney's wife's book, The Season of Second Chances (by Diane Meier), and I had veryyyy mixed feelings about it. Hoping I have better luck with Delaney.

I received Love in Mid Air from the author, Kim Wright. Somewhere the cover claims to hook the reader with the first page, so Chuck decided to put it to the test. Sure enough, he read the first page, kept going, and ended up reading five pages. Rocketgirl did the same, so I'm looking forward to this one. She's already begging to read it, too. We'll see...

A chance encounter with a stranger on an airplane sends Elyse Bearden into an emotional tailspin. Suddenly Elyse is willing to risk everything: her safe but stale marriage, her seemingly perfect life in an affluent Southern suburb, and her position in the community. She finds herself cutting through all the instincts that say no and instead lets yes happen. As Elyse embarks on a risky affair, her longtime friend Kelly and the other women in their book club begin to question their own decisions about love, sex, marriage, and freedom. There are consequences for Elyse, her family, and her circle of close friends, all of whom have an investment in her life continuing as normal. But is normal what she really wants after all?
Finally, in this mixed bag of reading, I downloaded a book I've been eyeing for a while now: Simon Mawer's The Glass Room. I'm completely taken with the idea of this book as it integrates architecture--one of my favorite things--and WWII. It looks terribly literary and captivating.

The latest from novelist Mawer (The Fall) begins with great promise, as Jewish newlyweds Viktor and Liesel Landauer meet with architect Rainier von Abt, not just an architect but "a poet...of light and space and form," who builds their dream home, a "modern house...adapted to the future rather than the past, to the openness of modern living." World events, however, are about to overtake 1930s Czechoslovakia.
In other news, I think my reading has taken over my brain. I woke up last night after a wickedly vivid dream that was somewhere between The Passage and The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Zombie invaders had taken over a compound where I lived. We tried lights, guns, hiding, etc. and there was always some way those little buggers snuck in. It was an extremely vivid dream--terribly "action movie"--and I woke up unsettled and looking around for Virals or the Unconsecrated. Ugg! It's all fun and games until someone dreams about losing a chunk of flesh.

I got tied up with "stuff" yesterday, so I didn't get to do a Sunday Salon post. Am still trying to finish Beatrice and Virgil. Only about 50 pages left, so I'll polish it off sometime today. Still up in the air about what I think of this one. More to come!

Happy Monday! Oh, and that reminds me...I think this is my first time participating in Mailbox Monday! How did I manage to not participate for so long? I have no idea. Pure laziness, I suspect. It's hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik