Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Bookish Links, Reminders, and a Review!

Good (early) morning! Greyson woke me up squeaking and squirming at 5:30 this morning, so I decided to get up and "practice." I'll be up and getting ready for work this time every day beginning tomorrow, so I might as well go on and take the plunge. In the meantime, what better way to catch up on some blogging and reading!

As you might remember, my stepdaughter--the soon-to-be-14, Rocketgirl--reviewed Of All the Stupid Things here recently. She's been cranking out reviews like a madwoman since then, and she reads like crazy during the summer, so it only made sense to hook her up with her own blog. Go take a look at Rocketgirl Reviews if you have a moment, and if you leave a comment she'll "squeee!" and be very happy. So far she's written up her thoughts on To Kill a Mockingbird, The Shawl by Cynthia Ozick, and some others. And she's even sharing some quotes from her own writing.

Note: I got an unsolicited hug for creating this blog with her, so she is genuinely thrilled to have it.

Reminder: The BookClubSandwich discussion of Michael Perry's Coop begins here on August 16th. Heather was kind enough to pass along her copy, and it arrived yesterday. I read the first few pages, and I think I'm really going to like this one a lot! A good blend of funny and heartfelt, it's hitting the right note for me at the moment. I hope you'll join Kim and I for the discussion!

Finally, Rocketboy, not notorious for his reading unless it's a graphic novel, wanted to get in on the reviewing gig. He read Slob, by Ellen Potter, from his school's summer reading list, and this is his review:

I had to read a book for school, so I chose Slob. Slob is about this boy named Owen Burn Baum. He is 13 years old and lives with his foster mom. He is extremely smart. He is overweight and is made fun of because of it. Owen goes to school with his sister, named Jeremy. Her name is a boy's name because of this club named G.W.A.B. His foster mom always puts three Oreos in his lunch sack. One day they disappear and he freaks out. Throughout the book, Owen ends up making friends and losing friends while he tries to find out who takes his Oreos. He ends up inventing this machine that lets him see into the past. He finds out who stole his Oreos and and why, and he decides to go on a diet.

I liked the mystery and how it made you keep on guessing about who did this and who did that.

What I didn't like was, it was confusing about where he was and who he was talking to.

I'm glad my parents forced me to read this book because I actually enjoyed it.

And there you have it! Rocketboy will likely be starting a blog about gaming and art soon, so I'll keep you posted on that.

12 comments:

  1. I love Rocketboy's review, especially the last line about you forcing him to read it. He just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, book blogging in the family. What a great way to spend the summer with the kids. I think Rocketboy and Rocketgirl both have great futures in the blogging world : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Rocketboy that I want to read this book too. And I LOVE his last line!! Bwhahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erm how cool are you?! I love how your kids are reading and wanting to write up reviews! and having their own blogs! I saw this book over at the bookshelves of doom and have wanted to read it, and now after this review it makes me want to read it all them more. LOL and I am so loving that last line :) you go rocketboy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is adorable, and it's great that you've had such an impact on her as to encourage her to start her own book reviews blog! What a great stepMom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great that both kids are writing up reviews for what they read. Rocketboy's review was so perfect for his age and gender. I'm off to check out Rocketgirl's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am LOVING the kids reviews :D These are awesome!! And I can't wait for the bookclub sandwich discussions and the next book :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, isn't he a hoot?

    Bookventures, I think so, too. They're both really excited to be an online presence, and it's good for teaching all those wonderful privacy lessons (no real names, etc.). lol

    Christina, I will pass that along!

    KIKA, it's definitely good incentive. If not to read, then to write. Rocketboy is still iffy about writing book reviews past this one, but he's definitely game for review Halo and Army of Two and whatever else he's XBoxing at the moment.

    Thanks, April! I definitely can't take credit for her love of reading or writing, but I can do my best to feed both interests! She reads most of my review books before I ever get close to them!

    Enjoy, Trisha!

    Chris, thanks so much! And I'm really excited about BookClubSandwich. I'm trapped at a table handing out schedules for 3 hours tomorrow, so I suspect I'll get some Coop reading done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So now there are three book reviewers in the family. Rocketgirl's blog is wonderful. I hope she does well with her stories.

    And you "forced" the boy to read, you mean stepmom, you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love her blog! I'm going to add it to my 'bookish' list. She really is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Andi, love the family reviews! You have an award at my blog, come check it out...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!