Monday, August 30, 2010

Clearing Out the Bodies

I haven't finished a book in over a month, and that's just stupid. In short, between life and Coop, I stalled out in a big way. To make a confession, I STILL have 50 pages left in Coop, and it's been over a week since I've picked it up. I think it's time to clear out the bodies.

I'm not throwing up the white flag completely; I will finish the last pages, but to say that it's become a slog is an understatement. While I enjoy the book overall, Perry's style is not fast-moving, and I need something to help me out of my slump.

With fresh starts in mind, I started reading Zadie Smith's White Teeth in the bathroom this morning. That's right. Somewhere between a shower and getting Greyson up for a bottle, I parked on the throne with new reading material. How's that for transparency and sharing?

I've had this book on my stacks for YEARS, and in an ongoing effort to clear out older books on my shelves, I've decided it's time for ole Zadie to have her moment in my life. I've often thought of picking up White Teeth, but the oft soul-sucking buzz made me turn away. In truth, I only own it because it was on the $1.00 clearance at Half-Price Books.

To my shock and awe, Smith made me LOL in the bathroom. From page 4, as Archie Jones tries to kill himself by asphyxiation:
The thinnest covering of luck was on him like fresh dew. While he slipped in and out of consciousness, the position of the planets, the music of the spheres, the flap of a tiger moth's diaphanous wings in Central Africa, and a whole bunch of other stuff that Makes Shit Happen had decided it was second-chance time for Archie. Somewhere, somehow, by somebody, it had been decided that he would live.
How's that for snappy prose? Somehow the narration reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Stranger Than Fiction. I hope the rest of the journey is this much fun. Any writer who can make suicide attempts laughable has my respect.


It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly event to list the books finished last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week. It was created by J.Kaye’s Book Blog, but is now being hosted by Sheila from One Person’s Journey Through a World of Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik