Saturday, August 28, 2010

It Lives! And has books.

"It" would be me! Sorry for the lack of posting. Lots going on.

The kids are back to school this week, and you know those new cell phones I Tweeted about on Monday? Well, Rocketgirl had hers repossessed on Thursday. High school, it appears, will be far more homework--especially when the evil genius is taking a pre-AP and a full-on AP course. Late in the week, when she was swamped with work, we decreed "No texting until homework is done." And she took it upon herself to text anyway. This was after she'd been admonished for texting in class. She's discovering that one major downside to having an English professor wicked stepmother is that we get REALLY PISSED about in-class texting and the avoidance of homework. She thought life with me was all daisies and ARCs. Not so!

The bookish excitement started early in the week with her AP classes. She'll be reading Great Expectations and The Alchemist in English. Given my online moniker, I'm super-excited about Great Expectations, but if I had to guess, she'll hate it. But she'll appreciate my online persona. The Alchemist seems a great choice for this particular age group, and she probably won't hate it. She texted me to say, "I need books for English," at which time I texted back and said, "And we already have them. Of course."

She's also reading Three Cups of Tea, by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin for AP Geography. Her school's Student Council set up a fundraiser for this school year to rake up $25,000 to donate to Mortenson's cause (building schools in Afghanistan and Pakistan). While she doesn't seem to be enjoying the book very much, she is sensitive to the cause. And she's thinking of joining Student Council. I'll be reading this one when she's done.

In other bookish news, I've had a few goodies land on my doorstep that I'm excited about. First is Paranormalcy, by Kiersten White. I keep saying that I'm burned out on YA paranormal, and I truly mean it when I say it, but then a book like this wanders into the house and I'm excited about a paranormal all over again. We'll see how it plays.

I also received a trio of books edited by one of my favorites, Simon Van Booy. Why We Fight, Why Our Decisions Don't Matter, and Why We Need Love are edited collections of images, essays, classic philosophy and other nuggets on those three themes. While I adore Van Booy's short stories, and I'm looking forward to trying these three little books, I'm also a little bit hesitant. The idea seems a bit hokey and gimmicky, but I truly hope I'm surprised.

Have I been reading on a daily or even semi-daily basis? Nope! Not so much. I've put my hat into the ring for an administrative position at work. Eeek! *biting nails* and I'm continually adding content to my new online classes. I've been having a blast doing that, but it's also eating up my time. I've also discovered that I may not like Coop as much as I thought. But more on that in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik