Saturday, August 07, 2010

Lazy Summer Saturday

It was a hellish week at work, and as soon as I got home last night, I think I died! Thursday was a 15-hour day, and I ended up teaching my three classes, and I sat in on three more for administrative purposes. Then, I had the day off yesterday, but I had to go sit in on an additional class (administrative again) from 8-10pm. Blah! Luckily, my boss is letting me leave early on Monday to help make up for all the additional time I've put in. That explains the previous post with all the hair pulling. As soon as the bald spots are covered over again, no one will suspect a thing.

Today has been a pretty lazy Saturday. We have one new and exciting development in the garden: tomatoes!

Yes, we have a hanging tomato plant. Not the "Topsy Turvy" but the cheap hardware store knockoff, and it seems to be working just fine. We were a little concerned because for the longest time we had lots of blossoms but no actual tomatoes. Now we have about five of the little boogers growing.

Now, my question for all you seasoned tomato growers: why the hell is one side of the plant looking dead??? We water it daily (because it dries out quickly in the 100+ degree heat). Maybe that side is getting more sun and we need to rotate? No idea.

All I know is, I'm ready for this little tart to put out so I can mix my homegrown tomatoes up with some basil and parmesan and make some fresh bruschetta!

One morning last week we had Greyson's stroller in the house (it's usually in the trunk of the car), and he's pretty happy to kick back and let the world pass by when he's sitting in it. I took him outside with me to water plants, and I think he's gonna be quite the little gardener! Ever since he was born, if he's really cranky, I can take him outside on the patio or into my mom's sunroom and he is mystified and falls asleep like a charm. Maybe I should invest in some baby gardening gloves and a blue trowel with puppies on it.


When he's in a good mood he kicks and swings his arms so hard I think he's going to take off. This was just such a morning.

The rest of my Saturday will likely be just as uneventful as the beginning of my day: clean a little, read a little, nap a little.

How's your Saturday?

Note: this post is playing double duty for Heather's Saturday Farmer's Market feature and Weekend Cooking over at Beth Fish Reads. Check 'em both out 'cause they're tons o'fun!

16 comments:

  1. I can't remember where I read this, and it's quite possible my crazy brain made it up (!), but I *think* read somewhere that ones tomatoes start bearing fruit, they also start dying. I know this year and last year mine started to look like crap when they started producing. So yes, I think it's normal!

    Greyson looks soooooooooooooooooooo cute!!! I want to nibble that chin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that Heather is correct...although my tomatoes seem to die in places just as other greener shoots are growing out a different direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a topsy turvy!!!

    What a cute baby!

    Mine is HERE

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only grown tomatoes once and gave up when the squirrels and birds ate all the entire harvest. All of two tomatoes! Grrrr. However, I love to support my local Farmer's Market! :)

    Greyson is getting so dang big!! He's absolutely adorable. I'll bet he's got a great laugh.

    No lazy day here. Walked an hour. Pulled weeds and deadheaded for another hour. Cleaned up dishes from last night's party. Laundry. Bills. A book review--Gasp! Maybe tomorrow will be more relaxing. One can hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greyson is just adorable! I want some fresh tomatoes too - when I see everyone else's pictures it makes me regret not planting any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, Greyson is so adorable! Sadly I can't help at all with the tomato mystery, but I see that Heather's on the case :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG that is the cutest picture of Greyson :D He's so adorable!!! No idea what to tell you with the tomatoes, Andi, but YAY that they're growing now!!! That bruscetta sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So daggone cute!! I'd probably enjoy gardening if I had a cutie like that sleepin' away next to me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your boy is so cute! And he looks deliriously happy - obviously not a hair pulling day for him LOL

    Your Saturday sounds like just what you needed after a hellacious week. Hope next week is calmer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a perfect Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greyson is my kind of guy -- he just needs to see a bit of nature to calm down.

    I think everyone is right, once the tomato starts bearing fruit, the plant starts to look really bad. That doesn't happen with all cultivars but as long as you're watering, you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm married to a farmer, but I'm sadly lacking in gardening knowledge. :) I do, however, know that Greyson is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been quite a while since I've grown tomatoes - all I remember is eating them! Greyson is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heather, I'm really glad to hear that my tomatoes aren't really doing anything they're not supposed to! The tomatoes themselves look fine, so I'll stop worrying. And isn't that chin totally nibbleable?

    Peppermint PhD (love that name!), I'm noticing that it has new green parts, too. So I won't worry too much!

    LOL, Vicki! Thanks for stopping in.

    Les, I thought we might have a problem with that, but apparently the birds and squirrels are afraid of our patio. If I can keep it that way, all is well. I hope you had a relaxing Sunday!

    Kathy, this is the first time I've ever grown tomatoes. In the past I haven't even liked them really, but lately I'm trying to be more open.

    Thanks, Nymeth! Heather is indeed on the case. Not sure what I'd do without my gardening buddies!

    Thanks, Chris! I could eat bruscetta as a whole meal...no problem!

    Coffee and a Book Chick, he does make the gardening more fun. He talks (burbles) at me while I water.

    Thanks, Becca! Yes, Greyson is totally laid back unless he wants a bottle or is tired. I wish everyone had seen him kicked back in his highchair last night (one leg up on the tray) watching the Cowboys game with his dad and brother. So funny.

    Pretty close to perfect, Rikki!

    Thanks, Candace!!! I continue to water and my lil maters keep on growing.

    Ha! Thank you so much, Trisha. I grow tomatoes and cute babies. :D

    Thank you, Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable picture of your baby boy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!