Wednesday, August 11, 2010

People Who Really "Don't Have Time" to Read

In my previous post about prioritizing reading, I wrote:
I quickly get annoyed with those people--students, acquaintances...ahem...relatives--who say, "Oh, I don't read. I just don't have time for things like that." All that basically means is that they don't like to read, and it's not a priority.
And several of you started your comments with: "But sometimes we really DON'T have time to read!"

And my response would be: "I know! Let me explain."

When I wrote that I get annoyed with those who say they don't have time to read, I really am talking about people who are lying between their teeth. You've met them, I've met them. They roll a little something like this:
Do I buy, check out, or otherwise read books? No. I don't have time. Do I own books? Oh no, I don't have the space for that. You mean you just bought 14 books at the library sale and you're going to actually read them someday? Wow, your life must be really boring if you have that much time to read.

Friends, that dolt is not a reader nor have they ever been. These are the "don't have time to read" people I'm talking about. The ones who curl an upper lip as they say, "Read? Uh, no. I don't have time for that."

I've met people like this--worked with them in libraries or taught with them in colleges, in fact! The last couple of lines about having a boring life have been SPOKEN ALOUD to me! I would link to the post about it, but I cursed a lot back then and it's not safe for work.

How scary is that? I have no idea why people will sometimes front like mofo's that they like to read when they don't. Ever. And haven't. Ever. Others will come right out and look at you like a zillion-headed hydra if you say you like to read.

We all go through dry spells, but these are the posers and idgits I was referencing in my previous post.

Do you have a particularly appalling non-reader story? Someone who made you feel like mud? Tell me, tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik