Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Prioritizing Reading

I quickly get annoyed with those people--students, acquaintances...ahem...relatives--who say, "Oh, I don't read. I just don't have time for things like that." All that basically means is that they don't like to read, and it's not a priority.

For those of us who love to read, yearn to read, long to read, books can still be hard to prioritize into our lives sometimes. Right now is one of those times for me. I've mentioned the back-to-school fervor at my job, there's the addition of the home business (D'Aprix Creative) which runs out of our home, all the errands that go along with it, teenagers heading back to school soon and the ensuing quality time to soak up every last bit of summer, and let's face it, there's an infant in the house.

For the first time in the last several months, I'm really feeling the crush of obligation in everyday life, and it's certainly taking a toll on my reading. I used to carve out an hour or more of reading time each night before bed because I didn't go in to work until 11 or 12:00 every day. I could safely go to bed at 11:00pm and be rested the next day. Now that I'm up at 5:30 and teaching by 7:15, I have to hit the sack somewhere between 9:00 and 10:00 to keep my sanity.

This leaves me feeling homeless in the reading department. My routine has shifted dramatically, and I'm not sure where reading fits right now. My best options are to read during lunchtime at work and any accompanying downtime at school. Beginning-of-term is especially busy, as I'm sure you can imagine, so it'll settle down, but I'm cranky in the meantime. I have the whole of Friday off, but I'm usually playing with Greyson or trying to spend more time with the family. Keep in mind, I'm not looking for sympathy. This happens periodically. Reading slumps are cyclical, whether we like it or not.

So how do you prioritize your reading? Especially when things are busy or turbulent. Is there some fallback hobby that takes the place of your reading when you're brain-fried?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik