Monday, August 02, 2010

The Sunday Salon on Monday

I'm off work today!!!!! Can you tell I'm excited? In fact, I was off on Friday, too, so if you're wondering why you haven't seen me, I took the opportunity to "unplug" for most of the weekend. Thus, I'm just getting around to The Sunday Salon.

The family spent some time swimming, grilling, and watching movies the last few days, and I'm feeling delightfully recharged and as ready as I'll ever be to get back to work tomorrow. This term promises to be a challenging one. I'll be teaching at 7:15 every morning, and working 10 hour days with Fridays off. It sounds good in theory, but we'll see how it goes.

I spent my morning today getting the new issue of Estella's Revenge E-Zine online. I hope y'all will enjoy this first issue back. There are some really great essays and reviews and an interview with historical fiction author, Elizabeth Chadwick. Go see!

I've been dipping in and out of By Fire, By Water, by Mitchell James Kaplan, for the last few days, and I'm not having much luck. That's not to say that I'm not enjoying the book--I am!--but I think I need something a bit shorter to keep me going and out of a slump after The Passage.

This morning I was ruffling through my shelves and happened to lay eyes on The Secret Lives of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd. This is another one of those books that I'm coming to veryyyy late in the game. It's also one of those books everyone raved about in my online book discussion books back in the day. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone say negative things about it. No idea why I've held off reading it so long, but I do know I finally broke down and added it to my shelves when I found it on clearance at Half-Price Books for a dollar. How could I resist?

I'm not very far in, but so far I really like the narrator's voice, and I can tell her story is going to be one to pull at my heartstrings. I'm hoping I can spend some quality time reading today while Greyson is napping and hopefully go ahead and take a big chunk out of it before the term madness starts on Wednesday.

So tell me: what books have you read lately that were so good they could keep you out of a slump?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik