Monday, August 23, 2010

Welcome to Insomnia!

I don't really have insomnia, since once in a blue moon probably can't be categorized that way. I woke up around 3:30am. Greyson is sleeping peacefully, Chuck is sleeping peacefully, the Rockets are tucked in their beds (though who knows if they're sleeping). Tomorrow is Rocketboy's first day of junior high and Rocketgirl's first day of high school. I think part of the reason I'm awake is that I'm SO EXCITED for both of them.

We shopped for school clothes, school supplies, and some odds and ends on Saturday. Yesterday we finished up our before-school errands with haircuts, and we bought them both....drum roll...cell phones! Dear God, please let us not regret this! We typed up a cell phone usage contract for both of them to sign, and this will be our supreme opportunity to hold responsibility squarely over their adolescent heads. 

In other exciting news, I can fit into a pair of my pre-pregnancy jeans. I haven't been brave enough to try my pre-pregnancy work pants, but that will come in the morning, sometime around 6:30. My mind is also abuzz with big hair plans (big plans, not to be confused with big HAIR) for the near future. Think color and a super-fabulous cut. I'm beginning to feel like less of a slave to laziness and more like my old self, so it's time to start looking like I give a bit of a crap about my appearance again.

So that's what I'm thinking about this morning (now 4:11am). The kids and style.

Oh, and you should all say a little prayer for Chuck. He's a full-time student this semester, and he's taking care of Greyson all by his lonesome. Here's hoping his nerves hold out. I know he loves getting to put in all this quality time with Mr. G. while he's a baby because he didn't have that luxury with the Rockets.

More later when I'm lucid enough to write about books. In the meantime, I'll take another stab at sleep. Wish me luck!

16 comments:

  1. As far as the cell phone goes, I hope you got them unlimited texting! LOL. I doubt they'll actually use any talking minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to everyone! First day of school is big - I can see why you're excited for them!

    Congrats on your jeans!! :)

    Oh... and I agree with Christina. If they're anything like my students, they'll be texting more than talking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited that school starts today. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure the Rockets will be fine with their phones. Our son went over his minutes one time toward the beginning - we made him pay the extra charges and it never happened again. I'm sure everyone will have a great school year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure you don't want to go for big hair? Someone should bring it back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, what is it about back to school fever? I don't have any kids, but I still jump in the fray with office supplies -- do I really need another pen?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, congratulations on the jeans. I'm impressed. And good luck to Chuck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your insomnia time was most productive! I remember when my kids were little I'd sometimes get up at night and do things like put pictures into photo albums - stuff I couldn't do with little ones around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, so much excitement is going on in your house so good reason to have temporary insomnia. It sounds like you are finding your way back after those first months of motherhood when we (moms) seem to get a bit lost in the shuffle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness! Hope you got some rest after this post. :)
    Alayne - The Crowded Leaf

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the first day went well for everyone! Congratulations on fitting into pants that make you smile.

    Our son broke his cell phone every few months, dropping down a flight of stairs, someone stepping on his backpack... I can go on and on. My recommendation is to pay the extra for insurance. We used it all the time. This happened to his friends too.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. While I'm sorry you woke up in the wee hours, I have to admit I loved this post! It was made up pure love and family happiness...and it just put the warmest smile on my face. Do hope you were able to get back to sleep though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats on the jeans!! as for your kiddos, hope all went well. i work in a small private high school and there are only 2 students in the entire school who don't have cell phones. the first month will be the hardest because the phones are new and novel but this way you can keep tabs a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd wish you luck, but seeing's how it was 2 days ago, I think I'd be better off hoping that the insomnia was just a one night stand!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sure the kids will do great in school! I can understand how excited you are! My niece is appearing for her first exam today (she is 4 yrs old) and we all are excited :)

    We have started a new blog on books. Would you like to drop in?

    http://ourbookshelf-bookworms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!