Wednesday, September 15, 2010

BBAW: Day 3, Unexpected Treasures

Today's Book Blogger Appreciation Week topic is Unexpected Treasures! From the BBAW site:
Book bloggers can be some of the most influential people around!  Today we invite you to share with us a book or genre you tried due to the influence of another blogger.  What made you cave in to try something new and what was the experience like?
No kidding! My shelves wouldn't be nearly as loaded down as they are now if it weren't for my bloggy friends. I read pretty widely now, so I can't say that I've been pushed into any new genres lately, but I often pick up books because of blogger recommendations. Just looking over my sidebar for this year, here are the books I've read because of widespread blogger chatter or specific bloggy friends:
Yep, just as I thought. A lot!

In short, I get my book recommendations almost exclusively from my fellow bloggers these days. I find them far more influential than "professional" reviewers, and this coming from a gal who subscribes to the NY Times Review of Books on Nook. Yeah, I still prefer, and appreciate, bloggers.

14 comments:

  1. "I get my book recommendations almost exclusively from my fellow bloggers these days." Me too! A blogger buddy actually sent me her copy of French Milk (I haven't read it yet) b/c she enjoyed it so much. And the Guernsey book - oh how I loved that one, and I'd never have know about it if not for bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely read outside my comfort zone more with bloggers always talking about all different manner of books. And I also am better able to find books IN my comfort zone, which is nice for me too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved Guernsey! The Chicks on Lit group on Goodreads pushed me to read that one! I didn't think I'd care for it but it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I could write a 1000+ word post on all the books you have led me too! I don't know how I survived the first 22 years without you girl. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree about getting recommendations exclusively from book bloggers - especially when it comes to fiction. I find bloggy reviews are much more of an immediate, genuine, heartfelt response, than professional critics. They are also much more likely to be 'people like me' and so I'm much more likely to agree with their views. And even though many bloggers are getting review copies, I don't feel that I ever see reviews where people have compromised their independence or integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My shelves are groaning from all the recommendations I've picked up because of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nymeth has probably sold more books than a bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read a bunch of the books on your list because of bloggers, including French Milk, which I loved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd just like to say, I first picked up Twilight thanks to you...and the rest is history! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Almost all my reads are based on blogger recommendations these days too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a completely unrepentant copycat...I swear nearly everything I read is because of book bloggers these past few years. Well, you all and NPR anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you made a list of all the blogger-recommended books you've read this year! *sneaks over and steals idea*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get an awful lot of my book recommendations from fellow bloggers these days too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!