Monday, September 06, 2010

Give It to Me Wilkie! Uh huh! Uh huh!!!

Sorry, that song popped into my head and I happen to be reading The Woman in White, and it was all downhill from there.

This book is the BEST decision I've made since my reading slump came on. Seriously, sometimes I think classics are the cure to all my ills. Somehow if I don't read one for a while I begin to feel the teensiest bit starved. Like I'm literarily dehydrated or something. I'm only 40-some-odd pages into Wilkie Collins's The Woman in White, but it's just so delightfully charmingly awesome, I can hardly contain myself. This is just what I've been looking for!

I know absolutely NOTHING about Wilkie, and I'm oddly delighted by my ignorance. I see this one mentioned in the blogosphere ALL the time, and most assuredly at RIP time, but I've gone in with almost no expectations. Which makes it even more delightful to be so delighted!

In other news, I started Alan Moore's From Hell today, and I'm far less exuberant about it. For the uninitiated: black and white graphic novel--BIG graphic novel--apparently about Jack the Ripper. Lots of naked prossies (prostitutes). Meh. I'll get back to it, but I'm all Wilkie's for a bit.

Rocketgirl hasn't blogged for a while after an unfortunate grounding and a boatload of homework. Can we say AP courses? Oh yeah. Anyway, she finished Three Cups of Tea (good story, but boring...overall thumbs down), blew through The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood this weekend (loved it), and she's on to Little Vampire Women for her first RIP V choice. I'm sure she'll have plenty to say about these books on her own blog within the week.

Rocketboy has jumped on the RIP V train, too, and he's reading Z, by Michael Thomas Ford. He was home-bound (grounded) for part of the weekend, so he blew through several books, too. He read Electric Girl, vol. 2, by Michael Brennan and Calamity Jack, by Shannon Hale. He was so taken with Hale's retelling of "Jack and the Beanstalk," he's requested Hale's first graphic novel, Rapunzel's Revenge as well. For a reluctant reader, he sure is reading a lot.

It's back to work for me tomorrow after a four day weekend. 5:30 will come all too soon, so I'm off to soak up a bit more of The Woman in White and hit the sack. Night, y'all!

FTC Shout Outs:
  • The Woman in White -- FREEEEEE download for my Nook
  • From Hell - bought from a now-defunct Borders
  • Three Cups of Tea - by monetary transaction with the local off-campus college bookstore
  • The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud - purchased for Rocketgirl's recent birthday
  • Little Vampire Women - ARC from the publisher. Thanks, y'all!
  • Z - another ARC!
  • Electric Girl - library
  • Calamity Jack - library

23 comments:

  1. Have you seen a picture of Wilkie? You definitely won't be singing "I am too sexy for my shirt" after you it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. see it. Gah...I hate it when I leave out a word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same feelings when I was reading The Woman in White in June of last year. I read most of it with the Stanza app on my then-new iPod Touch, and that's still the best e-reading experience I've had so far, where I really DID forget the format because I was THAT involved with the story. I'm glad it's gotten you out of a slump, and I look forward to reading your review! Enjoy! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book on my shelf and have been dying to read it since reading The Thirteenth Tale -- I had never really known a thing about Wilkie Collins until that book, so I'm excited to hear how good it is with your post! I'm looking forward to it even more so now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How far are you in? I love this book. :D

    And I agree 100% with Jill. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had Woman in White on my shelves since last year and can't believe I still haven't read it. Maybe I'm waiting for a perfectly gloomy winter night to start this one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been interested in Wilkie's work ever since I read Drood. Does Rocketgirl have her own blog? How have I missed it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read Moonstone by Wilkie Collins and it was awesome! I'm sure to pick this up sometime soon (already downloaded my free copy from Project Gutenberg awhile back).

    Looking forward to Rocketgirl's thoughts on the Charlie St. Cloud book :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you are enjoying The Woman in White, Andi. It's such a good book. I really need to read more by Wilkie Collins . . .

    I am glad to see Rocketboy & girl getting into RIP V too!

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, I really should read this one again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suppose you realize I am like dancing in the streets happy to see you're loving Wilkie! Isn't it fantastic? Just wait, it gets better! Count Fosco makes the book, in my opinion. :D And yes, Wilkie isn't much too look at, poor old druggie.

    So glad to see, despite their groundings, that the Rocketkiddos are getting into some great books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowza...you all are cranking out the reading for RIP!

    Sorry to hear about From Hell...I was thinking about maybe starting that one tonight, as I know it's likely to be a slower one. Now I'm just not sure. (Yeah, I'm easily influenced that way. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahahaha love softdrink's comment! The Woman in White is a phenomenal book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We should start a Wilkie Collins fan club and make that our theme song. Do fan clubs get theme songs?

    ReplyDelete
  15. He is pretty fly for a white guy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jill, I have seen a picture of ole Wilkie, and he's definitely not the cat's pajamas!

    Marie, thanks for stopping by! I'm having a really good reading experience on the nook. I got sucked in a while ago, but still if I'm not totally taken with a book I see the device a lot more. I haven't tried reading on my iPod Touch, but I've been thinking of downloading an e-reading app for it. Glad to know it was a good experience for you!

    Coffee and a Book Chick, I read The Thirteenth Tale a year or two ago, and I loooooved it! I don't remember references to Wilkie, though, so I'll have to skim through and remind myself. It's on my re-read list anyway, so that sounds like a lot of fun!

    Amanda, I'm about 60 pages in now. I wanted to be further along but midterm grading has sucked up my time the last few days.

    Kathleen, a perfectly gloomy night would be the perfect time to undertake this one. I was sprawled out on the couch reading and waiting for it to rain when I started.

    Kathy, I have Drood on my pile, too, and I can't wait to get to it, too! Rocketgirl does have her own blog! http://rocketgirlreviews.blogspot.com

    Lightheaded, I'm looking forward to her thoughts on Charlie St. Cloud, too! I know she loved it, but I always like reading her reviews. Her writing has really matured in the last year.

    Thanks, Wendy! From what I've read of Wilkie's stuff at this point, I really can't wait to read more!

    Suey, I have a feeling it'll be on my re-read list. :D

    Heatheroo, I knew you'd be dancing! I love love love it so far and can't wait to read more. My midterm grades are due by noon, so I'll get to read after that!

    Debi, I don't think it's bad...just awfully slow to start. While I love graphic novels, I'm having a hard time getting into the scribbly black and white illustrations. I will definitely get back to it and give it more time, but I thought I'd be drawn in much quicker.

    Amen, Stephanie!

    Trisha, they do now! I love me a theme song!

    LOL, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! I love this book too. It was my first Wilkie book and I'm reading Moonstone now. PS...don't you just love Marian Halcombe? She's just one of my all-time favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thrilled you both are enjoying the RIP event. Woman in White is one of those books that is perpetually on my list, and on my bookshelf, and I have yet to get to it despite the fact that so many bloggers whose opinion I trust just rave about it. I've got to pick it up!!! I'm happy you are enjoying it. I'm not happy that song is now in my head and will be all day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Wilkie Collins! The Moonstone was my first experience with him, and it just charmed me to bits. Multiple points of view AND Victorian AND a religious lady with tracts. I like The Woman in White quite a bit too, but The Moonstone is my first Collins love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course you know that The Woman in White just keeps on getting better and better...it's a perfect read for the RIP V, if you've joined that, but perfect for a good read period. Strangely, as I'm reading Dickens' Bleak House, I keep being reminded of The Woman in White. There's a similarity of intrigue, and Victorian days, of mist and wonder. To me, anyway.
    Plus, both novels have characters which are masterfully drawn.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like The Woman In White definitely needs to make it into ye old TBR stack!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it when you discover a book that just gets you excited right away. Happy reading! I'll be looking forward to your review which will ultimately mean adding another book to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!