Monday, September 20, 2010

Introducing...ME! Wait, What?

Thanks to the Interview Swap for Book Blogger Appreciation Week, I came to a realization. Not everyone has been reading this blog for the five years that it's been going!!!

I know, right? Holy crap! What a stupid realization!

The bottom line: it appears many of you were wondering where this blog's name came from, and since it's one of my most proudest accomplishments in like, LIFE, I figured I should perhaps reintroduce myself, do some explaining, and generally welcome the new readers onboard since BBAW.

We bloggers often find each other en media res and, personally, I would like to see more bloggers doing what Amanda from The Zen Leaf has done. I feel like I know so much more about Amanda since she posted her own re-introduction, and if we can just get a big ole wave of this going through the blogosphere I would probably wet my pretty new pants with excitement.

This is me. This was before I had a baby, so my face is much thinner, and my hair is much shorter (with less gray). So, basically, add 15 pounds of weight, 15 pounds of hair, and some bags under the eyes, and you have a more up-to-date picture.

I am one of the old ladies in the blogging community. For five and a half years, I've been haunting the virtual stacks. If I explain the name of my blog you'll understand a bit of my bloggy history:

When I started the blog in 2005, I was in a bad mental/emotional space because of the relationship I was in. My "other" didn't like my blogging, and I basically started it out of spite. The most spiteful character in literature I could think of, and one I've been fascinated with for ages, is Estella from Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens. Her whole purpose in life was the torture men (thanks to the woman who raised her...Miss Havisham). The torturing of the menfolk sounded pretty good just then, so Estella's Revenge was born. As I've grown and aged and settled down, the title has grown with me. I suppose Estella's greatest revenge in the novel is ultimately on Miss Havisham. Estella grows up, matures, and finds happiness. Something I'm sure that naughty old Havisham would not have wanted. Likewise, I've matured, settled down, and am very much content these days.

So, there ya go. That's how my online persona was born, and I really am pretty proud of that brief stroke of cleverness that's served me so well over the years.

For work, I am an English professor. I've been professing for about 7 years now. I taught high school in rural North Carolina for one year, and I ran screaming to higher education as quickly as I my little stubby toes would carry me. While teaching can be a pain in the arse sometimes, overall I am extremely happy with my job. I rarely dread going to work, and I always like interacting with my students and colleagues. I'm continually challenged with new ways to present material. I've recently applied for an administrative position, and while I'm a little nervous about the idea of leaving the classroom, I think I'm also ready to try something new. I still get my fix teaching online classes for extra money.

Note: I do not have PhD, which would prompt some to say, "Then you're not a professor, dahling."

Like hell, I say!

I have a Masters degree, I was accepted to Illinois State University for a PhD, but I didn't go. I like sleep and sanity, and my liver had all of the drinking it could take as a Masters student. Instead, I started a second Masters, this one in Library Science, and it's currently on hold.

In my daily life, I'm just a normal person with a smartassy streak. I have a wicked, pointy, silver tongue that I do my best to keep under wraps. It looks regular pink in that picture, though. Despite my way with words, I'm also a really nice person. Some might even refer to me as chipper. Secretly, I am chipper, but I also like my alone time, so it doesn't hurt my feelings AT ALL to hide myself for a good many hours a day.

I'll be turning 30 in November, and I'm not skeered at all. The older I get, the better my wardrobe gets. I've had multiple facial piercings in my life, I do not have any tattoos, and I'm getting ready to dye my hair a slightly inhuman shade of red.

I live in Dallas, TX, and I have a family: Chuck, The Rockets are my stepkiddos aged 12 and 14, and Greyson is the new addition at 5 months. We have three dogs and a cat in a smallish condo, which basically means we're gluttons for punishment. Daisy is a 30-pound terrier mix of some odd, leggy variety. Storm is a Rottweiler mix, and ironically, she is afraid of storms. Hides in the bathtub when she hears 'em comin'. Dingo is a big, old, cranky something or other. And Samson is our doily of a cat.

You'll find me in various places in the blogosphere. I founded and currently co-edit Estella's Revenge E-Zine, about none other than books. I used to write a column for Bibliobuffet.com called "The Finicky Reader" until my life blew up. You can find more contact info on my Review Policy.

I roll with a group of bloggy ladies I've "known" for over 10 years. Heather, Bookfool, Amanda, Readerbuzz, Tanabata, Les (and others) were in Yahoo! Groups discussing books long before this blogging deal became the big thing. We've all been blogging for a hella long time, too, and I'm blessed to have started the online book journey with so many kindred spirits. I've also been lucky to meet so many of you other book-obsessed, tasty little tarts along the way. I wouldn't trade this part of my social life for anything.

When it comes to bookish tastes, I'm all over the board. My specialties in graduate school were childrens/adolescent lit and graphic narrative (comics!). I love picking apart children's and adolescent lit for all its weirdness, hypocrisy, and adult humor.

When it comes to everyday reading, I go through phases. Last year I only read one literary fiction novel. ONE! This year I seem to be reading more literary fiction, memoirs, and environmental/green living type books. I am decidedly toasted when it comes to YA paranormal fiction. No. Thanks. For the time being, anyway.

I am a complete technological nut. I have a Blackberry, an iPod Touch, a Nook e-reader, a laptop, a couple of miscellaneous iPod shuffles for working out, I Twitter, Stumble, Goodreads, Facebook. In short, I likes the Interwebs. Oh, and podcasts. I love me a podcast.

When I'm not on the computer I like to cook, watch HGTV and Food Network, and I enjoy the outdoors. I promise, I'm not online ALL the time.

So, yeah, that's me in a nutshell. As a person, as a reader, as a writer and blogger, and bears, Oh MY! If you have any questions, let me know.

I had a chicken fried steak sandwich for dinner last night, just in case you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik