Thursday, September 02, 2010

The Stunning and Sassy: Favorite Covers

Top Ten Picks is an original meme over at Random Ramblings. This week's task is to pick 10 Favorite Book Covers, and I am equal to the task!



First, I had the absolute hardest time choosing which covers to include. I thought about only including books I've read, only including books I own, but then there are a slew of covers I don't own (yet), which are gorgeous! In the end, this is a mishmash of gorgeous covers.


Lauren Groff's short story collection, Delicate Edible Birds, and Ali Shaw's novel, The Girl With Glass Feet, represent a whimsical category involving subtle colors and stark silhouettes. I find these types of designs so attractive whether it's book covers, home decor, Etsy goodies, or whatever. If I ever actually get around to stocking my own Etsy shop, you can bet you'll find some goodies in this particular style.


Garden Spells and Vanity Fair fall into the "sumptuous and rich" category. I'm a sucker for the bold colors in all of Sarah Addison Allen's covers. While you wouldn't know it to see me in real life, I love fashion. While I'm not usually a fan of movie tie-in covers, the Reese Witherspoon version of Vanity Fair captured me with that stunning crimson dress.


These would fall into the "sassy" category. I adore, lust, and drool over Penguin's "Ink" series. Tara Mcpherson, one of my favorite artists and illustrators, did this awesome Bridget Jones's Diary cover. I'm also a huge fan of the snarky cover for It Sucked and Then I Cried, Heather Armstrong's (Dooce) memoir about pregnancy and postpartum depression. The funky, snide title politely cross-stitched on a pillow cracks me up every time.


Come on! You knew there HAD to be some foodie books! I adored Gesine Bullock-Prado's aptly titled Confessions of a Closet Master Baker (snort!). I get hungry just looking at it. Is it wrong to want to lick a book? Incidentally, Bullock-Prado's book has undergone a name change and is now My Life from Scratch. Far too "nice" a title, in my opinion. But the cover art on the new version is really pretty, too. I also love Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. The items in the young girl's hands are an heirloom bean called Christmas Lima Beans. Aren't they pretty? I'd probably trade a kidney for a packet of those seeds.


It was extremely difficult to narrow down my final choices. At the end of the day, I admire a cover that really captures the mood of a favorite book. Justin Cronin's The Passage is deliciously creepy. I love that we can see the lights (a big part of the book), and I'm just waiting for a viral to burst through the trees. It's beautiful and unsettling at the same time--much like the novel. John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things draws on that silhouette style I enjoy so much. And if you've been hanging around my blog for more than 5 minutes, you know I love me some red, white, black, and grey. This weird, wonderful fairytale mishmash definitely lived up to the cover. My expectations were set toward the fantastic from the get-go.

It was REALLY hard to pick favorites, and I had to leave out a number of covers I adore. I hope you've found some you like here, and if these pretty pics push you into reading one of these books, then I'd like a gold star, thankyouverymuch!

23 comments:

  1. Good choices! I really do like Garden Spells as well -- and the Vanity Fair cover is one that I like because Reese Witherspoon looks so eeeevilllll in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so hard to pick favorites! I wouldn't even know where to begin, but you did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffee and a Book Chick, I love evil Reese, too! That is a wicked look if I've ever seen one. Loved the whole visual appeal of the film as well.

    Thanks, Kathy! It was tough to narrow down, for sure. I went click through really old blog posts for most of them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Bridget Jone's Diary and The Book of Lost Things covers. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never seen that Bridget Jones' Diary cover before (love it!). You've chosen some cool artsy covers, Andi! And thanks for commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicate Edible Things and The Book of Lost things are both exceptional covers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been doing Top Ten Picks for the last couple weeks but this week's topic is beyond me. I can only think of one cover I like offhand...and that's because I just looked at it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choices! I may want in on the action for this one. Off to write a post...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The covers you chose are awesome. And also, I adored the Girl with the Glass Feet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, another lovely cover for Lauren Groff. I mean, I picked up The Monsters of Templeton because of the cover of the book. This one is eh, more restrained :)

    I also loved the John Connolly cover though what I have is not the red one. Hahaha. Since I haven't read The Passage yet, I'm now intrigued as to why the other cover for the book features just a girl's face.

    And well, I just can't pick favorites. I might end up with a book mosaic which would somehow defeat the purpose of actually picking favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, that 'The Girl with the Glass Feet' is love at first sight for me for sure. I have never seen that one!!

    And I love the cover for Bridget Jones. Mine is pretty boring, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! I bought Delicate Edible Birds a year ago because of you (and the cover).Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I may not read any of these, but I'll give you a gold star anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Red! I really want to start collecting the Penguin Inks books. So pretty!

    Thanks for stopping by Teacher/Learner!

    Stephanie, aren't they pretty? I just wanna pet 'em.

    Amanda, I had to refresh my memory a bit by looking back through some of the pics on my blog. Others popped into my head on their own. I'm a ho for covers. :)

    Looking forward to your picks, Trisha!

    Christina, I haven't gotten to read it yet. I had it on hold at the library, and I think I missed picking it up or something. Need to add it back to my list.

    Lightheaded, I've seen that other cover of The Passage. While it is quite creepy, I prefer this one. It's a nice marriage of beautiful and ominous!

    Jillian, Girl With the Glass Feet is an interesting premise to go along with a beautiful cover. My Bridget Jones is really boring, too. lol

    Thanks, Vasilly! I hope you can get around to Delicate Edible Birds soon. It's stunning!

    Aww, thanks, Jill. I love me a gold star.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are some gorgeous covers. I love the Edible Birds cover too -it really made me want to read the book (and I wasn't disappointed!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it would be wrong *not* to want to lick that book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Becca, isn't it pretty? I've adored that cover since it landed on my doorstep.

    LOL, Debi! I agree wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that cover of Bridget Jones Diary. I've never seen it before!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great choices! I LOVE the cover for The Book of Lost Things and felt that it reflected the story quite well. It kind of reminds me of another cool book cover from the book Wicked Plants by Amy Stewart. You can see the cover here if you are intersted!
    http://www.amystewart.com/wickedplants.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the covers--and adored reading 'confessions of a master...' :) can't imagine that life, tho. early mornings slay me. as for judging books by covers, i SWORE i'd stop doing it but i'm still a sucker for a great cover.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun choices, and a nice mix too. Like you, I am a fan of decor and design that matches those first two books. Pretty much anything that fits into that aesthetic is something I would like. And those covers are great.

    I love all of Sarah Addison Allen's book covers, especially both the hardback and trade (which are different) of The Sugar Queen. (Gotta get that back from the library and finish it...damn people and their book holds!!!).

    And I just ran across Bridget Jones' Diary the other day in Barnes and Noble. As a HUGE fan of McPherson the cover just leaped out at me. I liked it so much that I printed off a coupon the next day and went and purchased it just so that I could have it on my shelf. It is adorning my bedside table now just because I like looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, we have similar tastes: I love all the covers that you listed here! But when it comes to cover art, I feel like I have pretty simple tastes. Although an eye catching cover means a lot more when I'm just browsing books. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I've done nearly enough of that lately!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!