Thursday, September 02, 2010

The Stunning and Sassy: Favorite Covers

Top Ten Picks is an original meme over at Random Ramblings. This week's task is to pick 10 Favorite Book Covers, and I am equal to the task!

First, I had the absolute hardest time choosing which covers to include. I thought about only including books I've read, only including books I own, but then there are a slew of covers I don't own (yet), which are gorgeous! In the end, this is a mishmash of gorgeous covers.

Lauren Groff's short story collection, Delicate Edible Birds, and Ali Shaw's novel, The Girl With Glass Feet, represent a whimsical category involving subtle colors and stark silhouettes. I find these types of designs so attractive whether it's book covers, home decor, Etsy goodies, or whatever. If I ever actually get around to stocking my own Etsy shop, you can bet you'll find some goodies in this particular style.

Garden Spells and Vanity Fair fall into the "sumptuous and rich" category. I'm a sucker for the bold colors in all of Sarah Addison Allen's covers. While you wouldn't know it to see me in real life, I love fashion. While I'm not usually a fan of movie tie-in covers, the Reese Witherspoon version of Vanity Fair captured me with that stunning crimson dress.

These would fall into the "sassy" category. I adore, lust, and drool over Penguin's "Ink" series. Tara Mcpherson, one of my favorite artists and illustrators, did this awesome Bridget Jones's Diary cover. I'm also a huge fan of the snarky cover for It Sucked and Then I Cried, Heather Armstrong's (Dooce) memoir about pregnancy and postpartum depression. The funky, snide title politely cross-stitched on a pillow cracks me up every time.

Come on! You knew there HAD to be some foodie books! I adored Gesine Bullock-Prado's aptly titled Confessions of a Closet Master Baker (snort!). I get hungry just looking at it. Is it wrong to want to lick a book? Incidentally, Bullock-Prado's book has undergone a name change and is now My Life from Scratch. Far too "nice" a title, in my opinion. But the cover art on the new version is really pretty, too. I also love Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. The items in the young girl's hands are an heirloom bean called Christmas Lima Beans. Aren't they pretty? I'd probably trade a kidney for a packet of those seeds.

It was extremely difficult to narrow down my final choices. At the end of the day, I admire a cover that really captures the mood of a favorite book. Justin Cronin's The Passage is deliciously creepy. I love that we can see the lights (a big part of the book), and I'm just waiting for a viral to burst through the trees. It's beautiful and unsettling at the same time--much like the novel. John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things draws on that silhouette style I enjoy so much. And if you've been hanging around my blog for more than 5 minutes, you know I love me some red, white, black, and grey. This weird, wonderful fairytale mishmash definitely lived up to the cover. My expectations were set toward the fantastic from the get-go.

It was REALLY hard to pick favorites, and I had to leave out a number of covers I adore. I hope you've found some you like here, and if these pretty pics push you into reading one of these books, then I'd like a gold star, thankyouverymuch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik