Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Wanna Have Coffee and Talk About Books? And a new job!

I've never been to a book festival! I don't know how that happened either, especially since the Texas Book Festival happens in Austin every year. Quite honestly, I've missed it in past years because I just haven't paid attention to the dates. However, this year I am bound and determined to make a go of it and meet some of my fellow bloggers!

This year's Texas Book Festival is happening on October 16th and 17th and I've already started scouting out the panels I'm interested in attending and stalking the bloggers I want to hunt down for coffee or a meal. Chuck and I have been thinking of making a weekend trip somewhere for a while, and this opportunity just happened to pop up at a pretty opportune time.

Yesterday I found out that I've been promoted to an administrative position, so to be very practical, the money will be available for us to take this trip! Woohoo! And it can be a celebration of the new job, too. Just to fill you in briefly on the new work, I am the Interim Program Chair for the general ed. department. In other words, I'll be supervising our full-time and adjunct faculty in math, English, science, humanities, communication, etc. All the basic courses. It'll be "interim" for a term and then we'll jointly decide if I want to continue with the position and if I'm the best fit for the job. And I'm OK with that!

But back to the books. Authors I'm interested in seeing at the festival? Justin Cronin, M.T. Anderson, Holly Black, Laurie Halse Anderson, David Wiesner, P.J. O'Rourke, Julia Glass, Jennifer Egan, and others.

One of the biggest pieces of advice I've heard from other festival-going bloggers is to be flexible with the schedule. I know I won't be able to see all of these authors, but I am looking forward to a number of the panels and appearances and taking in the atmosphere in Austin.

So, who else is going? And who's organizing the get-together? ;)

Note: I know see that Amanda has posted about the Texas Book Blogger Party! Go see! 


28 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay on the new job!

    And, I'm here in Austin and I have the Book Festival marked in red on my calendar :)

    I know of one other book blogger who is attending but haven't heard anything about who's organizing. I can say that in the past during the festival you are busy going to panels. The breaks are really short and you've gotta run to your next location and find a seat. Maybe we could all get together before for breakfast tacos & coffee and/or afterwards for a stroll on South Congress to take in the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kathy and Iliana!

    Iliana, thanks for the tip! I know time between panels is ridiculously short. I've already started an itinerary, and I know I'll end up cutting a lot out and making some touch decisions based on panel locations. Definitely want to get together! I've never spent much time in Austin (even though I went to Baylor in Waco). Would love to take in some sights! (Bookpeople!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm organizing! Apparently anyway. I've never been there, so I've been working with Carin (from A LIttle Bookish) to get the details together, for anyone who wants to come. Thanks for helping to promote!! The more word we can get out the better. I don't know yet if I'll be there both days or just Saturday, but I'm so looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds amazing!! Those events are so much fun -- Bermudaonion reminded me to bring a business card to the event held in Florida this weekend for the blog so that I can hand those out to the authors or publicists -- thank goodness I got some made, it was awesome to do that! Have fun -- and you have some fantastic authors that are going to be there!

    And oh yeah -- congrats on the new job!! I'm sure you'll wow them beyond compare and they'll be begging you to stay on after the interim period!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun and congrats! The Wisconsin Book festival starts this weekend and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the new job! I bet you are the best person for the job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Andi, that's wonderful!!! Congratulations!!!!! Hope you enjoy it!!!! :D

    And have fun at the book fest, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the new position! It sounds wonderful!

    I would love to go to Texas to meet bloggers, but I don't think it is going to happen...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really wanting to go to one of these -I've been reading about so many bloggers attending them.

    I'd love to have a chance to see Julia Glass. She's a big favorite of mine.

    Have fun - and congrats on the new job, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the new job - wish I could be there to celebrate :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are going to have SO MUCH FUN!!! I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too bad Interim Program Chair doesn't have a better acronym...calling you the IPC isn't very fun. ;-)

    But congrats on the new job...and good luck! I definitely think that calls for a trip to Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations from me, too. I hope you love your new job and the book festival!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, hubby and I are thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, yeah , congrats on new position, you deserve it. Hum, my friend is in an administrative position...wonder if she'll remember me when I am job hunting in the spring...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the new job!! Very exciting!

    And I'm definitely planning on hitting the book festival...can you believe I've never heard of it before? And I *heart* Austin...I think I'll have to make a weekend of it! Would love to meet up with people, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no! I have to say it - don't leave faculty!!!!! We need good teachers! Just kidding. Congrats on the job. I'm so jealous of you guys meeting in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yea! Congrats on the job. I know it's crazy starting something new, particularly at the start of a semester. Hope it's fantastic.

    And... I cannot WAIT for the TX Book Festival. Last year was my first year to go, and I had a blast. Went with my parents (also book lovers). The weather was perfect, heard Margaret Atwood speak, sat in on some great panels. I'm really excited simply to stroll the book tents as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. COngratulations on the new job! And I hope you enjoy your first literary festival. I have never been to one myself, so I'm looking forward to hear what your experiences were.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on the new position!

    Sounds like a fun book fest! Justin Cronin! Jennifer Egan!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on your new job! That's great news. =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hooray for your new job!! What exciting news, Andi.

    And very exciting news about the Book Festival. I would seriously consider flying down to join you and Iliana (and make a side trip up to Dallas to visit my daughter), but we're heading out of town the week before and will have just returned home. :( Maybe next year! I'm sure you'll have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on the new job! And the book festival sounds marvelous - wish I could go! October 16th is an excellent day for bookish celebrations, in my opinion, as it's Oscar Wilde's birthday that day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. David Wiesner?!? You're going to see DAVID WIESNER?!?! Now I'm the one green with envy!! When you see him, tell him I love him. Lots and lots and lots.

    And Laurie Halse Anderson, too?! Why oh why is Texas so far away??

    Congrats on the new job, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on the job! That's great news. I'm going to my first book festival on October 16th as well! But mine's the Boston Book Festival, which is clearly not Texas. Have fun! - Alayne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!