Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Wanna Have Coffee and Talk About Books? And a new job!

I've never been to a book festival! I don't know how that happened either, especially since the Texas Book Festival happens in Austin every year. Quite honestly, I've missed it in past years because I just haven't paid attention to the dates. However, this year I am bound and determined to make a go of it and meet some of my fellow bloggers!

This year's Texas Book Festival is happening on October 16th and 17th and I've already started scouting out the panels I'm interested in attending and stalking the bloggers I want to hunt down for coffee or a meal. Chuck and I have been thinking of making a weekend trip somewhere for a while, and this opportunity just happened to pop up at a pretty opportune time.

Yesterday I found out that I've been promoted to an administrative position, so to be very practical, the money will be available for us to take this trip! Woohoo! And it can be a celebration of the new job, too. Just to fill you in briefly on the new work, I am the Interim Program Chair for the general ed. department. In other words, I'll be supervising our full-time and adjunct faculty in math, English, science, humanities, communication, etc. All the basic courses. It'll be "interim" for a term and then we'll jointly decide if I want to continue with the position and if I'm the best fit for the job. And I'm OK with that!

But back to the books. Authors I'm interested in seeing at the festival? Justin Cronin, M.T. Anderson, Holly Black, Laurie Halse Anderson, David Wiesner, P.J. O'Rourke, Julia Glass, Jennifer Egan, and others.

One of the biggest pieces of advice I've heard from other festival-going bloggers is to be flexible with the schedule. I know I won't be able to see all of these authors, but I am looking forward to a number of the panels and appearances and taking in the atmosphere in Austin.

So, who else is going? And who's organizing the get-together? ;)

Note: I know see that Amanda has posted about the Texas Book Blogger Party! Go see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik