Monday, October 25, 2010

Francesca Lia Block's Supreme Weirdness

When I decided to wipe my reading slate clean and start completely over, I really didn't have a preconceived notion of what I would pick up next. No mental checklist, no hovering idea leftover from my last bit of shelf browsing.

I knew I'd found my next book when Weetzie walked in. Specifically, a collection of Francesca Lia Block's Weetzie Bat books all in one volume. The five books included in this volume are: Weetzie Bat, Witch Baby, Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys, Missing Angel Juan, and Baby Be-Bop.

I've heard little bits of information about the Weetzie Bat books for years, and even though I've loved everything I've read by Francesca Lia Block, something still kept me from picking them up. OK, I admit it, I was put off by the weird title. When this pretty cover landed in my mailbox I couldn't resist any longer.

So far I'm about 60 pages in, and it's just what I need--a fast read with plenty of quirk. I've always described Block's writing as kind of floaty, ethereal, otherworldly, and this collection is no different. Weetzie lives with her best friend Dirk and his boyfriend Duck in L.A. The whole shabang reminds me of a punk rock video swirled in fairy dust. The dialogue is Sixteen Candles on crack.

My only hesitation is whether or not I can handle this much lingo and oddity for a whole five books (478 pages). Time will tell!

Have you read the Weetzie Bat books? What about other Block titles?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik