Saturday, October 23, 2010

I Hardly Know How to Re-Appear!

Hey y'all! I hardly know how to make my reappearance in the blogosphere. The last few weeks have been such a whirlwind, it's hard to believe I'm still upright. Work has been the biggest contributing factor to my absence, but there's been a lot going on all the way around.

I've been revamping myself, first of all. This all started several weeks ago when my mom took me on a grand shopping spree. Given that having a baby tends to change one's body and I've never been a shopper anyway, I didn't have a whole lot of clothing left. What I did have was wearing out, and suddenly I found myself wearing the same three outfits over and over.

The grand shopping spree was actually a pre-celebration for my 30th birthday (on November 10th), and the celebration hasn't stopped. Once I got back into clothes I like and that fit, I went nuts. I've been shopping steadily (surfing the sales) ever since, and my wardrobe has gotten darn-near impressive. Joking aside, I feel so much better, I can't even tell you. Oh, and those cute shoes down there are my latest purchase. Thank you, Kohl's!

So what was left after the new wardrobe? New HAIR of course! I chopped 10 inches off. I shit you not. It's in a bag in my car somewhere, and it looks like a cat was skinned and stuffed into a Paul Mitchell sack. My curls are now hovering somewhere around my jawline, and I dyed my dirty blond locks a distinct red. The official color is "violet brown"...so a really dark brownish purplish auburn thing. I also had my stylist throw in some coppery highlights for dimension. I'll post pics, I promise.

A while back I posted a whole worrisome "Who the Hell AM I?" post. It was all about having a baby and absolutely, positively forgetting who I was. I thought it was high time I pay some quality attention to myself. Lately this comes in waves of self-manicuring and jewelry buying (I'm addicted to "fashion rings"). I get excited every day about the prospect of picking something cute out of my closet and feeling professional, smart, and looking the part. Who knew clothes could make such a big difference? Everyone should do a home "What Not to Wear" makeover if they feel like crap.

All is well on the work front. Biggest different between my old job and my new one: no time to blog during the day. None. Nada. Zilch!!! I am busy from the moment I arrive to the moment I throw myself out the door at 6pm. Mind you, I'm not complaining at all. I absolutely love what I do. As a department chair I'm responsible for hiring faculty, managing faculty, team building, student issues, and other miscellaneous miscellany. I kinda feel like I'm playing a video game every day. We have W and X problems and Y and Z to solve 'em. GO!

With all of this madness going on, I'm also teaching five online classes. If I'd known I would get this new job, I would've chopped off two of those, and then my time might be manageable. As it is, I come home and work several hours at least two nights a week (and I'm still behind). I've been working all afternoon today, and I'll spend all morning tomorrow to get caught up.

See my quandary? Reading and most other things I used to do for fun have taken a far backseat. I am reading snatches of magazines and other little bits, but a book has not been finished since the Read-a-Thon. I am also chipping away at How Did You Get This Number? by Sloane Crosley, but between you and me, it ain't no I Was Told There'd Be Cake!. Not so much. Am thinking of wiping my reading slate completely clean, sticking to graphic novels and other short books and skating through the rest of the year that way. I don't see any other options at the moment!

That's about all of my news. I will be here more often. I miss you all too much to stay away. Oh! And Greyson turned six months old last week. There are pics. Many many pics. We went to the Dallas Arboretum and rolled in the pumpkins today. Photo evidence to come.

23 comments:

  1. Your shopping spree sounds like fun! I need to do the same. I quit buying clothes when our son went to college - paying tuition and buying clothes don't go hand in hand. Now that he's graduated, I need to get back into the shopping saddle, so to speak. Happy birthday a little early! It depresses me to see that I'm old enough to be your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 42 and have three daughters...2 teenagers and a 6 year old. You will be a much better person, mother, etc. if you take care of yourself. I've learned the hard way that I'm no good to anyone else if I don't take time for me...I'm not high maintenance or anything but hair trims, eyebrow waxing, and a few new outfits each season is not much for a hard-working mom :)
    Read some short, fun, non-thinking stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to hear you're happy during the insanity

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, when my kids were all very young (5, 3, and 1), I went through a sort of identity crisis where I couldn't remember who I was anymore. I'd only been a stay at home mom for six months and I'm was going crazy. I'm not a shopper and I don't really care about clothes (when I get new ones, they just go into rotation), but I did start a myspace page and got into looking for new music, something I hadn't done in years. I also made some friends and for the first time in awhile had some grown-up time away from kids! I started a book club and that added more to my grown-up time, and then I joined some writing groups. I feel much better today, 5 years later, after all that! Even if I'm still a stay at home mom.

    Good for you for shopping and chopping off your hair and coloring it! Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Retail therapy is the best therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for shopping!

    I can't wait to see your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to hear from you, even amidst ongoing moments of insanity :D Love the shoes--flats rule! Also can't wait to see that new hairdo. I need to trim off a few inches, too, but the onset of fall-winter brings laziness in grooming upkeep :D

    Happy 1/2 birthday, Greyson! You only have it once, Mom. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo-hoo! Can't wait to see pics of the new you. It must be the season for haircuts, though, since I chopped mine off this week (not that I had 10 inches to cut).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you're taking care of yourself. I think I need to do a little shopping, relaxing too because I am sooo stressed right now. Every week I just think "Is it Thanksgiving break yet?!?!" and once that comes and goes I'll just be looking forward to winter break.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a budget of $0 right now (new baby, quit my job, moving) but have decided it's time to do a What Not to Wear in my own closet. I've gotten too used to wearing the comfy maternity wear and yoga pants. It's not like it takes any longer and I love to wear skirts anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for makeover time and retail therapy! Motherhood is awesome but it does do something to your sense of self at first. Sometimes ME time is really needed to remind yourself of who is in there, you know? Happy to hear the job is loved even if it keeps you super busy. And I can't wait to see 6 months pictures!! Welcome back. We've missed you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been BUSY! I'm so jealous of your shopping spree for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the job and the shopping spree!

    I think we work in a similar setting. I'm the librarian at a small technical college and I know exactly the type of position you work in, and it is definitely time consuming! I can't believe you're teaching 5 online classes as well. The most any of our Program Chairs teach is like...2 classes on-site! No wonder you're so busy! I'm sure once your classes are over it'll get more manageable! Congrats again thats so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Six months? Wow, time flies. It's good to see you around too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. With too many bills and paying for The Girl's school, I don't often buy new clothes and I feel so unfashionable. LOL Sounds like you had a lot of fun shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for shopping! I'm going through the same thing you are with shopping for the first time in a long time. It's amazing how fun it can be and how new clothes that you love makes you feel so different but comfortable about yourself.

    If you have to read graphic novels and short books for the rest of the year, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad to hear you're making positive changes -- new clothes definitely make a huge difference! You sound so happy and bubbly in this post. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for you! A little re-invention is exactly what you need right now. It will get you through that crazy schedule, and you will be a better mother for showering a little extra love on yourself. Now go get some more shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy early birthday and yay for the clothes! Having new clothes can give me such a lift, even if it's only one new outfit. I got all new clothes before coming to New York and it helped me feel a million percent better about the move.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Go, you! I hate to say it, (I don't like to give any credence to female stereotypes), but sometimes all you need is some new clothes to perk you up! Your schedule sounds insane, btw. I'll be thinking happy, sane thoughts for you :) I say read whatever keeps your head from exploding, and if that means just graphic novels and short books for the rest of the year, so be it. I read a bunch of middle reader/YA books this month and it was exactly what I needed!

    Good to "see" you again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the idea of revamping oneself! I've gotten a few new outfits for work and it's amazing how great you can feel in a new blouse or pants that actually fit. I love Kohl's and Penney's. I'm so hard on my work clothes and have learned (the hard way!) that I can't wear my nicer stuff to work.

    I'll bet your hair is gorgeous. I keep toying with the idea of going to a auburn/red in the winter. My dad had red hair, so it's in mine just a tiny bit.

    You sound extremely busy with work. And baby. And life. Post when you can. We're not going anywhere. I'm barely posting myself, these days. I'm sure it will all settle down eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Darling Andi, I have my hair hovering around my jawline, too, always end up with that look. You're 30, I'll be 50 in a few months; it's easy to lose track of who we are, but I think it's temporary. We waft in and out of our roles as mothers/teachers/bloggers/readers/and lovers (in no particular order) but ourselves remain true if buried. I loved going on a virtual shopping trip with you. I hope you do post pics!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good for you for carving some time out for yourself. New shoes, clothes, AND a new hair cut? You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!