Saturday, October 23, 2010

I Hardly Know How to Re-Appear!

Hey y'all! I hardly know how to make my reappearance in the blogosphere. The last few weeks have been such a whirlwind, it's hard to believe I'm still upright. Work has been the biggest contributing factor to my absence, but there's been a lot going on all the way around.

I've been revamping myself, first of all. This all started several weeks ago when my mom took me on a grand shopping spree. Given that having a baby tends to change one's body and I've never been a shopper anyway, I didn't have a whole lot of clothing left. What I did have was wearing out, and suddenly I found myself wearing the same three outfits over and over.

The grand shopping spree was actually a pre-celebration for my 30th birthday (on November 10th), and the celebration hasn't stopped. Once I got back into clothes I like and that fit, I went nuts. I've been shopping steadily (surfing the sales) ever since, and my wardrobe has gotten darn-near impressive. Joking aside, I feel so much better, I can't even tell you. Oh, and those cute shoes down there are my latest purchase. Thank you, Kohl's!

So what was left after the new wardrobe? New HAIR of course! I chopped 10 inches off. I shit you not. It's in a bag in my car somewhere, and it looks like a cat was skinned and stuffed into a Paul Mitchell sack. My curls are now hovering somewhere around my jawline, and I dyed my dirty blond locks a distinct red. The official color is "violet brown" a really dark brownish purplish auburn thing. I also had my stylist throw in some coppery highlights for dimension. I'll post pics, I promise.

A while back I posted a whole worrisome "Who the Hell AM I?" post. It was all about having a baby and absolutely, positively forgetting who I was. I thought it was high time I pay some quality attention to myself. Lately this comes in waves of self-manicuring and jewelry buying (I'm addicted to "fashion rings"). I get excited every day about the prospect of picking something cute out of my closet and feeling professional, smart, and looking the part. Who knew clothes could make such a big difference? Everyone should do a home "What Not to Wear" makeover if they feel like crap.

All is well on the work front. Biggest different between my old job and my new one: no time to blog during the day. None. Nada. Zilch!!! I am busy from the moment I arrive to the moment I throw myself out the door at 6pm. Mind you, I'm not complaining at all. I absolutely love what I do. As a department chair I'm responsible for hiring faculty, managing faculty, team building, student issues, and other miscellaneous miscellany. I kinda feel like I'm playing a video game every day. We have W and X problems and Y and Z to solve 'em. GO!

With all of this madness going on, I'm also teaching five online classes. If I'd known I would get this new job, I would've chopped off two of those, and then my time might be manageable. As it is, I come home and work several hours at least two nights a week (and I'm still behind). I've been working all afternoon today, and I'll spend all morning tomorrow to get caught up.

See my quandary? Reading and most other things I used to do for fun have taken a far backseat. I am reading snatches of magazines and other little bits, but a book has not been finished since the Read-a-Thon. I am also chipping away at How Did You Get This Number? by Sloane Crosley, but between you and me, it ain't no I Was Told There'd Be Cake!. Not so much. Am thinking of wiping my reading slate completely clean, sticking to graphic novels and other short books and skating through the rest of the year that way. I don't see any other options at the moment!

That's about all of my news. I will be here more often. I miss you all too much to stay away. Oh! And Greyson turned six months old last week. There are pics. Many many pics. We went to the Dallas Arboretum and rolled in the pumpkins today. Photo evidence to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik