Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Blustery Hunker-Down-with-a-Book Books

Something about the change from hot to cooler weather makes me really long to read. The days get wetter and darker, and all I really want to do is cocoon myself in a blanket, sip tea, read a book (and watch Ghost Hunters). While I can't say that the type of books I read changes by season, the urge kicks in at a fever pitch this time of year.

These are a few of the books asking me to hunker down with them:

The Sugar Mother by Elizabeth Jolley
Blurb from Library Journal - Jolley writes tongue-in-cheek of ordinary people caught in far-from-ordinary situations. Edwin, a mild-mannered, fiftyish professor, is married to the ambitious Cecilia, an obstetrician who has just departed on a year-long medical fellowship halfway around the world. One night he must reluctantly play host to the new neighbors, a cunning mother-and-daughter team who end by moving in. Edwin is eventually smitten with the daughter, and readers can imagine what awaits the career-minded wife's delayed homecoming. Jolley's strongest, zaniest novel yet, with the high level of entertainment maintained until the end.

This one arrived unsolicited and it looks just off-kilter and weird/charming enough to me to devour it. Isn't the cover wonderfully hilarious?

By Nightfall by Michael Cunningham
Blurb from Booklist - Peter Harris, a dispirited Soho gallery owner in his midforties, arrives home to find his wife in the shower and marvels at how lithe she looks through the steam, then realizes that he’s admiring her much younger brother. Called the Mistake, or Mizzy, he’s a lost soul, a junkie and moocher as sexy as he is manipulative. Mizzy appears just as Peter, brooding, romantic, and self-deprecating, is grappling with his failings as a father and an art dealer.

In my experience with The Hours and Specimen Days, Michael Cunningham is nothing short of stunning. I hope he doesn't let me down this time around.

Firelight by Sophie Jordan
Blurb from Booklist - Descended from dragons, the draki's ability to appear human protects them from hunters. Jacinda lives with her pride in the Cascades, but she chafes under her special status as the only fire-breather in hundreds of years. Recklessly breaking the “no-fly” rule, she attracts hunters; mercifully, one hunter, a beautiful boy who looks upon her with wonder, lets her escape. After this, the pride intends to hobble her rebelliousness, and Jacinda is forced to flee.

Even though I've largely sworn off paranormal YA, this one sounds just unique enough to keep me interested.

And while there are tons more books staring me down from my shelves, these are the ones that come immedaitely to mind. What have you been lusting after lately?

8 comments:

  1. I agree--definitely something about the cold weather that kicks up the desire for hours of good-old-curl-up-and-read time. Now if we could just find a way to make the free time to do it actually materialize, huh? As for what book is really calling to me--I'm dying to start The Passage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you find the time to hunker down soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The change in weather (which I've not really experienced in four years, and am REALLY feeling, as a result) makes me want old favorites. Mercedes Lackey trilogies. The Harry Potter series. Orson Scott Card's Ender books. Comfort food for the eyes and brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a winter-reader chick, too. And Ghost Hunters? Yep. Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe that is my problem. The weather here in California today was almost 80 degrees. I feel like I have summer fever but summer is over. I'm lusting just to read anything at all. Lately I've had a hard time focusing on reading anything at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to read a lot more lately too - it's so comforting to cuddle in with tea and a blanket and just read. I've got a bunch of review books to do in the near future, but after that I'm hoping to read a chunkster of some sort off my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, Debi! That additional free time would be nice. As it is, I'm trying to utilize lunch breaks and the time after Greyson hits the sack at night. I hope you love The Passage as much as I did. It's the last book I really ripped through.

    Kathy, thanks! I'm doing some hunkering during the day and before bed, but never as much as I'd like.

    Kirsten, I would be especially keen on the Harry Potter series right about now. I really need to re-read Deathly Hallows. Now if I hadn't put my copy in storage!

    Natalie, Ghost Hunter lovers, unite! I fell asleep during last night's episode and Chuck erased it off the DVR. Ugg!

    Kathleen, I'm glad it's finally cooling off her in Texas. This change to chilly is always my favorite time of year if I can avoid getting sick.

    Kim, I've all but thrown my hands up about review books. Anything that catches my interest enough to provoke me to finish is OK by me! Good luck with a chunkster. I want to read one in theory, but then the real thing just scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm craving mysteries and big, juicy family dramas preferably by non-American authors (how's that for specific? LOL).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!