Monday, November 01, 2010

High on Excedrin and Ready to Read!

*bouncing off the walls* I started the day with a headache, took two Excedrin Migraine, and now I'm ready to clean the whole building! Whee!

Happy post-Halloween! This means I've officially bombed the RIV V challenge (sad face). I think this is the first year I've absolutely sucked it up. Oh well! I loved the attempt as much as ever.

Other cool, bookish goings-on: The BookClubSandwich discussion of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle will begin on November 8th over at Kim's blog. I need to get off my butt and start this book. I am super excited about it because I've wanted to read it for years.

I'm still in the midst of Dangerous Angels, Francesca Lia Block's collected Weetzie Bat books. Technically, I'm neck deep in the second book, Witch Baby. I just *heart* them more and more as I read. The references to the just-beginning AIDS epidemic is really heartrending through the eyes of Duck and Dirk, two gay characters in the novels.

Wanna read a really good passage? I thought this was just whimsical enough to show off Block's writing style:

Not only did Raphael look like powdered chocolate, but he smelled like it, too, and his eyes reminded Witch Baby  of Hershey's Kisses. His mother, Ping, dressed him in bright red, green and yellow and twisted his hair into dreadlocks. ("Cables to heaven," said his father, Valentine, who had dreads too.)
Raphael, the Chinese-Rasta parrot-boy, loved to paint, and he covered the walls of his room with waterfalls, stars, rainbows, suns, moons, birds, flowers and fish. As soon as Witch Baby had learned to walk, she had chased after him, spying and dreaming that someday they would roll in the mud, dance with paint on their feet and play music together while Cherokee Bat took photographs of them
I really am getting more and more into these books the further I read. Yay for being engaged in reading!

Back tomorrow with a review of Kith by Holly Black.
.

11 comments:

  1. i've been meaning to read the jungle too though, i'm just scared it'll make me vegetarian, i love me some steak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better and back to reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excedrin? Really? Sounds like I need to add that to the medicine cabinet. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christopher, I love me some steak, too. Don't think it'll be enough if some of the animal cruelty books haven't turned me yet. We'll see!

    Kathleen, thanks! I'm glad, too. It's still slow going, but better than nothing.

    Jill, OH YEAH!!! It's basically caffeine. Kills a headache in its tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had no idea you could get "high" on Excedrin! Thankfully, I hardly ever have headaches - but I'll keep that in mind!

    Glad you're better and that life is on a more even keel for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Becca. I'm not really a caffeine person, though I've become more fond of it since Greyson's birth. I took two Excedrin today (mostly caffeine), and I probably could've jumped out of my skin or cleaned the building from top to bottom. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I wish Excedrin Migraine worked for me!! I'm glad it works for you :) And dammit!!! I need to start The Jungle!!!! I think I'm going to finish my current read tonight and then I can start it. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh, what is hamlet's blackberry??! i'm just about to start hamlet with my less-than enthusiastic seniors and am looking for other things to add to my lesson plans. i'll have to check it out--so glad i stopped by!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Jungle is one of those books that I just need to suck it up and read! For some reason I've been intimidated by it. Who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a bit of a reading lapse myself and am having a hard time keeping up with my book club book. I like it, just not enough hours in the day and all that...This is the first time I'm going to book club without finishing the book :O( Glad you're back and feeling excedrin happy! Hope the boy is well!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe I need to try some of that Excedrin. I don't have a headache, but I don't have any energy either.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!