Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Kith (graphic novel)

Unfortunately, Kith, by Holly Black, is the only book I managed to finish for the recent Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon. If I could've picked another book to finish, any other book, I most certainly would've.

This is the second book in the Good Neighbors series about a punky teenage girl whose mother is a selfish fairy-wench. Her dad is pretty spineless, her grandfather is a powerful fairy-king. Teenage girl has to save her hometown and her idiot boyfriend from being overtaken by the mean, mean fairies. Blah blah.

Pretty uninteresting on the whole.

I adore the artwork: moody black and white, funky fairy-folk. That's where the love ends. I read it because I knew it would be quick, and quick is not always a good thing.

Two big toes down.

9 comments:

  1. I need to start reading books again.

    Btw, do you know that your tongue is hanging out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Kin okay, but probably only because compared to Tithe, anything by Holly Black was good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, sorry to hear this one was a disappointment!I can't even say the artwork appeals to me all that much (at least judging from the cover).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover art but it sounds like this is not a graphic novel to put on my list to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to like Holly Black's stuff, but... eh. I read Tithe and Valiant and thought they were okay, but just that. Okay with a big, heaping side of trying-too-hard. Everything is so dark and edgy that I found myself rolling my eyes every couple of pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blase, it does that. :)

    Amanda, I wanted to read Tithe. Now, not so much.

    Avisannschild, it's better in the book than on the cover. The funky, half-breed fairy folk were by far my favorites.

    Kathleen, not recommended.

    Pamela, agreed on the trying-too-hard. And nothing annoys me like that does! P.S. where are you living now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a pity this wasn't better - the art does seem lovely and Black is an author I've been meaning to try, but I guess I'd better not start with her graphic novels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nymeth, I've heard mixed reviews of her other books, including Tithe, but overall those reviews seem to be better on the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this book but there were some flaws to this story. I wanted the story fleshed out and wanted to know more about the characters. Hopefully your next read is better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!