Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Wayward Reader Returns OR The Sunday Salon

That's me! The wayward reader. It was actually pretty nice to take a blogging break. I can't say that I'm out of the woods yet. Tonight I finished final grades for one of the schools where I teach online, I have a buttload of papers to grade for another set of online classes, and there's the usual managerial nightmare of wrapping up one academic term in-person and starting another. I'm jonesing to get some work and reading done over the break. I'll be in the office but the students and teachers won't be! Woot!

One thing I'm really excited about is that I'm teaching an independent study next term!!! It's Literature and Film. Off the top of my head, I think we're supposed to read Stephen King's novella, "The Body" and then watch Stand By Me. I've never read it or watched it (Crazy! I know!). Another read-and-watch is Twelve Angry Men. Despite any readerly cravings I might have, I definitely need to read through these and brush up on my film terms over the holidays. I'm also itching to bring in some of my own short stories and films to the class. Number one among them: a chapter of Ghost World, and the fantabulistic movie. You heard me. Good stuff!

Other literary goings on in the coming semester: I'm teaching Early American Lit and Children's Lit again. Those are always a good time.


And I realize we all know this already, but OPRAH CHOSE DICKENS!!!! It made my Estella's Revenge heart go pitter-pat. I will most definitely buy a copy of this edition for my permanent collection. It's RED AND WHITE AND BLACK (just like my blog), and I've been meaning to re-read A Tale of Two Cities for eons.

Rocketgirl finished reading Great Expectations for school recently, and I'm happy to report that she really liked it. I'm not sure Estella and Miss Havisham had the same impact on her that they did on me as a kid, but she may come around in her later years.

So what have I missed? What are you reading? What challenges are you joining? How is the holiday season treating you all?

23 comments:

  1. I was happy she chose Dickens as well. And the cover art is beautiful! I'm tempted to find a copy myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an admitted cover ho, and I just can't resist this one. The red really got me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I hear you. It seems like all my blog posts lately have been about Mt. Grademore - and I am only about halfway through the monstrous pile.

    Meanwhile, I have to say that I am always sort of impressed by the range of Oprah's choices. I have never been able to understand where the disdain so many hold for her book club comes from...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually not happy she chose Dickens. I was at my local used bookstore and picked up a copy because I've been meaning to give Dickens a try. She asked oh, so you're a part of Oprah's book club eh? Yea, I was a bit embarrassed. Still gonna read it though, just not going to tell anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! While I'm not a Dickens girl, I did enjoy Tale of Two Cities (read it for fun in middle school) and have been contemplating rereading it. That's a purdy cover! :D

    Also, Twelve Angry Men is one of the best movies ever. OMG Henry Fonda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you're in for a great semester. My son loved Literature and Film when he took it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back, Andi!!

    I love that Dickens' edition, too. It's beautiful! And I loved A Tale of Two Cities when I read it in high school and have always intended to give it a re-read. This just might be the nudge I need.

    Don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit that you were the first person I thought of when she announced Great Expectations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely excited to hear about your Films & Books class. Post the syllabus and keep us updated!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely excited to hear about your Films & Books class. Post the syllabus and keep us updated!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love the cover, but I am not a huge Dickens fan. We'll see though. I keep trying but he makes me twitchy.

    I'm so glad you're back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sycorax Pine, I like that! I may have to adopt the term Mt. Grademore! I'm also impressed by the range, though this time she did admit she didn't read the books first. lol

    Thanks, Amanda!

    Christopher, we wouldn't want you getting a reputation now would we?

    Eva, I can't believe I've NEVER seen 12 Angry Men! Will definitely be changing that. Love me some Fonda.

    Kathy, it is a lot of fun. I taught it once a million years ago, and it'll be good to revisit.

    Hey Les! I just want to pet that cover. lol I think it might be the nudge I need, too.

    Ha! Thank you, Chris. I love being so intimately tied to one of my fave classics.

    Will do, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LoL! Twitchy! Good to see you too, Allie. Melville makes me twitchy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see you're back!

    The video and print editions of Twelve Angry Men side-by-side is a perfect assignment for class. I read the play for the first time this year and loved it! What about Wit by Margaret Edson along with the movie version?

    Good luck with keeping your sanity during finals!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, i just want to say hello to the community

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a lovely edition, and get this, I saw it in the flesh in Target this weekend. Target! Say what you want about Oprah but you have to love someone that gets and end cap display for Dickens at a huge discount retailer like that.

    Glad to see you back around!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, I do not care what books Oprah does or doesn't choose, but I do rather love the shiny new covers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great to see you back and to hear what you've got planned for next term. Such a cool idea a lit and film class - how can you go wrong with Stephen King?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I took lit & film in university & just loved it! I hope you enjoy 12 Angry Men (it's one of my all-time favourite movies) & Stand By Me is great, too. If you need more lit-to-film connections, King's Different Seasons covers The Shawshank Redemption as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I already purchased the special edition Penguin did for the Oprah book club and am reading Tale of Two Cities!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm just stopping by to say Happy Holidays, Andi!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just took a film and literature class this past semester. I would have LOVED watching Ghost World! It's so weird for me read about things from your side, I just drew a comic about waiting for my grades to come in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!