Tuesday, January 25, 2011

BookClubSandwich #3: The United States of Arugula!

It's here! The third reading choice for BookClubSandwich--a book club for foodies and wannabes--is David Kamp's The United States of Arugula: The Sun-Dried, Cold-Pressed, Dark-Roasted, Extra Virgin Story of the American Food Revolution. How's THAT for a title??!!

Discussion of The United States of Arugula will begin on Monday, March 14th. Just stop on by my blog or Kim's place to join the discussion.

For a little info about The United States of Arugula, straight from David Kamp's website, see the blurb below:

The United States of Arugula is a book about one of the happiest developments of our time: the quantum leap forward in food choice, food quality, and culinary sophistication in America in the last sixty years or so. I was born in 1966, when American adults were in thrall to convenience foods and NASA chic (you know, Tang orange-drink powder and those Pillsbury food sticks that looked like Slim Jims and tasted like Tootsie Rolls), and I’ve been fortunate to witness, over the course of my lifetime, a radical refurbishment of my family’s larder and just about everyone else’s. We have a greater variety of ingredients and products available to us, representing a wider-than-ever range of ethnic influences (it’s shocking how literally white-bread American cookery was in the midcentury), and if we care to, we can eat better, healthier, and more flavorful food than our ancestors could have dreamed.
Previous BookClubSandwich picks:
  • Coop by Michael Perry
  • The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

6 comments:

  1. oooooh, this one sounds good! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting! I love reading about food and food choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quote from this book. My daughter and I recently checked out the latest Gourmet cookbook. In the introduction of it, editor Ruth Reichl said something similar about the way our food choices have expanded and evolved. I think I may need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great read. I still need to read COOP too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Count me in, at least for a skim. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!