Monday, January 24, 2011

Memorable Passages: My Reading Life

One of the things I love about my Nook is that I can quickly and easily mark passages of interest in the e-books I'm reading. I've always been a perpetual note-taker, dog-earer, and passage highlighter.

As I was working my way through Pat Conroy's My Reading Life, I found myself marking a LOT of passages. While I'm not planning to write a formal review given the gushing in my last post (that opinion did not change), I will share another passage that made me smile and laugh a little at the end.
Here is what I want from a  book, what I demand, what I pray for when I take up a novel and begin to read the first sentence: I want everything and nothing less, the full measure of a writer's heart. I want a novel so poetic that I do not have to turn to the standby anthologies of poetry to satisfy that itch for music, for perfection and economy of phrasing, for exactness of tone. Then, too, I want a book so filled with story and character that I read page after page without thinking of food and drink, because a writer has possessed me, crazed me with an unappeasable thirst to know what happens next. Again, I know that story is suspect in the high precincts of American fiction, but only because it brings entertainment and pleasure, the same responses that have always driven puritanical spirits at the dinner table wild when the talk turns to sexual intercourse and incontinence.
Right on!

Have you read any noteworthy passages lately?

9 comments:

  1. I've been using tumblr to keep a record of lines & passages I've been enjoying.
    China MiƩville's Kraken is full of great lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mieville seems so interesting!!! I really need to hurry up and read some of his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been a "note-taker, dog-earer, passage highlighter" which is why I love that my Kindle lets me do all that without actually marking up a book. One of my favorite features of eReaders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sold! I love books about reading. And I love Conroy. I'm so glad to hear it's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so in love with my Nook Color that it's almost embarrassing...the note taking option is such a worthy and valuable part of why I love it. I need a support group already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alley, I'm glad your Kindle has opened up a world of note-taking and highlighting! :)

    Les, you'll adore it!

    Natalie, and now I want a Nook Color, just to have one. My first generation Nook is just fine, but COLOR!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this book now, too. I am looking forward to getting to it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto to everything in that excerpt. That small passage alone makes me want to find a copy of the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been reading quite a few lately and it makes me want to find a way to capture the most noteworthy so I can read them or use them in a blog post at a later date.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!