Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Sunday Salon - The Bookish Weekend

Yesterday was a bit of a Mama Field Trip. Chuck met a photography buddy at Barnes and Noble, so I went along for a little peace and reading. Greyson partied all day with the Rockets and Chuck's mom. After a quick drink and bite at Starbuck's, I ran off with my Nook to find a comfy chair and to read.

First order of business: I finished my second book of the year, Katherine Howe's The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. I'm really looking forward to writing the review because there were times when the book made me roll my eyes, and other times I got a little teary reading it. Very strange experience--definitely not all good and not all bad.

After I cruised the store and looked over some Really-Want-'Em books, I headed back to the cafe and read through some essays and free in-store content before diving into Pat Conroy's literary memoir, My Reading Life. I've read three of the essays so far, and I adore them. I've never read any of Conroy's other work, but I think I'll be more apt to do so after I finish this collection.

***

And it's now many hours later. We've run errands, bought groceries, cleaned house. Chuck is lying down with Mr. G., the Rockets are doing whatever they do upstairs, and I'm lounging on the couch, TV turned off, and I think I'll spend a decent chunk of the rest of my evening perusing the written word.

I spent part of my morning looking over my shelves, gearing myself up for the Chunkster Challenge. I found some Hemingway novels I picked up at a garage sale a while back, and For Whom the Bell Tolls looks like a front runner for the challenge. Not to mention the other books I listed on the 2011 Challenges page up top. I also spent some time dusting bookshelves this afternoon, relocating some of the books to higher ground since Greyson can grab at them now.

It hasn't been a terribly cohesive or restful day, but it has been a bookish day--and weekend for that matter--and for that I'm thankful. Slowly but surely I begin to feel more like my old reading self, and that's the best way the new year could start off.

How was your Sunday? Any glowing recommendations to pass along?

14 comments:

  1. Go with for whom the bell tolls. I read it last year, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good day indeed :) Deliverance Dane sounds like a book that has a wide range of feelings, eh? Looking forward to that review! And I'm so excited to see Lemon Cake on your new shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very curious about The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane now. Since it caused such reactions, I figure it must be pretty good over all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stopped by your blog today.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked Physick. It'll be interesting to hear about it from the viewpoint of an academic.

    My Sunday was kind of a nothing. I haven't read a word, this weekend -- not one. Horrors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane two years back now and although I liked it well enough, the main character frustrated me to no end at times. I'm looking forward to reading your review now that you are finished. Sounds like a nice weekend..hope your week is filled with bookish things as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just started reading South of Broad by Pat Conroy...am having a little trouble getting into it so I may read a few of his essays in My Reading Life along with the fiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely rolled my eyes many times during Deliverance Dane, though I don't recall ever becoming teary-eyed. I look forward to your review!

    Also, I have color-coded bookshelves, but they don't look nearly as awesome as those pictured because I don't have enough books of each color to just do straight down in a rainbow pattern. This obviously means I need more books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you read Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow of the Wind? I've just finished it and ADORED it. It's a perfect wintry read, all lovely and gothic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wondering about the Pat Conroy book...I've never read any of his books either, but I'm a sucker for bookish books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't realise that Hemingway had written any chunksters! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the rec, Christopher!

    Chris, it was quite a broad range. And I can't WAIT to read Lemon Cake! It's very near the top of the e-book TBR. :D

    Hope you like the review, Kathy. I was as honest as could be. hehe

    Thanks for stopping in, Ann.

    Nancy, my reaction to Deliverance Dane was a mixed bag. To say the least. lol

    Samantha, I was in the same boat. Poor Connie was so dim at times. lol

    Peppermint PhD, definitely try some of the essays. The one on his mother's reading, the first one in the collection I believe..."The Lily" was AWESOME. My fave so far, though I'm highlight a lot of passages.

    LOL, Aarti! Any excuse to get more books works for me. I thought that was an especially lovely picture.

    Jenny, I have read it! It's been several years ago, but I did really like the bookishness of it and the gothic yumminess. On the flip side, it got a little melodramatic for me towards the end.

    Jill, DO IT! It's really wonderful. I stayed up too late reading it last night.

    Eva, surprising, right?? I'm used to Old Man and the Sea length from Hemingway. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you guys had a great bookish outing! You'll have to tell us more about Pat Conroy's book. I saw that and sort of glanced at it but am waiting to hear some reviews of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear you are getting your reading mojo back!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!