Sunday, January 02, 2011

The Sunday Salon - Challenges Out the Wahoo and a Teeny Reading Goal

Greyson has been at my mom's house since Friday afternoon, so that means mama has been reading like a crazy person! Last night was glorious. I lounged in bed and dove headlong into The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. If work isn't too crazy this week I'll probably be able to polish it off in a day or two. I also spent some time with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'm loving my re-read.

However, I also did something odd last night. You might remember that BookClubSandwich's first pick last year was Coop, by Michael Perry. I was really excited about the book, but somehow I got bogged down in the process and 50 pages or so have been left unread since last year. Anal retentive that I am, I just couldn't leave it unread with that little to go. I devoted a few minutes to finishing it up last night. Soooo, Coop is my first finished book of 2011 though it seems a bit cheatish since I read 90% of it in 2010. Oh well! I'm free-flowing this year, so I'm going with it.

By the way, Jill, I loved Little Miss Shake-n-Bake. *tear*


This morning I spent some time reviewing 2011 challenges to decide what I want to tackle. I failed my 2010 challenges hands-down with the exception of the Woolf in Winter read-along of Mrs. Dalloway. In 2011 I'm limiting my challenges, but I couldn't resist The Chunkster Challenge, What's in a Name 4, and the E-Book Reading Challenge. I've also downloaded an e-book copy of War and Peace for that big honking readalong. See my 2011 Challenges page up top for more info!

Finally, this time of year inevitably entails reading goals for the new year. The idea I like most is "reading deliberately" in 2011. I did this much more in 2010 than I have in the past, and I'll continue to work on it. So what does "reading deliberately" mean to me?
  • Reading what I really want to read!!! I aim to cut down on obligations in 2011. When there's a due date attached to reading, I generally lose interest. This is a direct result of a Masters degree in English.
  • Taking fewer books for review. Crazy, right? I just don't do well with this. It's the due date thing I mentioned above.
  • Switching up the types of books I read. I generally fall into a slump if I read too much of the same in a row.
  • Picking quality reading: I love literary fiction, classics, graphic novels, and essays. If I read more of these I'm more likely to feel fulfilled by my reading.
  • Indulge in e-books. I'll have a whole post about this coming up soon, but I actually read faster and more efficiently on my Nook. I might as well embrace it!
So that's my Sunday Salon thus far. Been doing a little challenge hunting, reflecting on my own reading habits, and soon I'll be diving back into a book. We have an hour drive out to my mom's and an hour drive back to get Baby G. Sounds like prime reading time to me!

Happy Sunday, everyone!

19 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals. I hope 2011 is your best year ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy! Right back at ya, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice when you have a stretch of time to lose yourself in a book, isn't it? I am looking forward to reading The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, and so am looking forward to reading your review once you finish.

    Good luck with your reading goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying not to accept too many books for review too. Good luck with your girls--hope you have a great 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck, Andi.

    I like seeing how many bloggers are considering taking on less review books and focusing on books that they WANT to read without deadlines. I think 2011 is going to be a passionate year for the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Wendy! I'm looking forward to reviewing this one. There are some things that bug me about it so far, but it's still a fun read.

    Thanks, Stephanie! I never thought I'd make it a goal to accept fewer books. Crazy!

    I agree, April. This seems to be a spreading trend. I think our eyes were bigger than our bookshelves. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Challenges are irresistable sometimes, aren't they? Sounds like you had a nice break where you were able to get some reading in. And if it makes you feel better I wouldn't be able to leave that part of Coop unread either. Good luck with all of your reading goals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor little chicken. :-( But she lived a valiant life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andiroo!!! Isn't it just utter bliss when you get a stretch of time to just kick back and read? It becomes even more precious when you have little ones dividing your attention.

    Good luck with your reading this year! I just know it will be kick-ass. Can't wait for The Good Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for a new year and new reading goals! I'm doing the Chunksters Challenge myself, and (perhaps masochistically) elected the Mor-Book-ly Obese level...two of the books on my list are over 1000 pages and another two are nearly 800. GULP.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Andi! I really like your goals. They are a lot in line with what I started in 2010 and will continue for this year. Good luck with them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel the same way about the deadline/due date thing. I have only requested a few ARC's and after my first excitement over their arrival, I began to feel bogged down...then I felt like I was supposed to read those books before the ones I WANTED to read...like a job or a master's degree! I just decided to halt ARC's altogether for now. That's not why I blog and I have tons of stuff to read without accepting outside stuff from marketers...maybe another day but in 2011 I'm reading for ME :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually have no trouble switching up my reading, but I definitely want to spend more time reading what I want to in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's awesome that your mom babysat for you so you could get some time to yourself. Rock on! Great start to your reading year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree. I am planning to accept only the review books that make my heart go pitter patter. And I will not hesitate to let a book go DNF if it is not working out for me.

    Here's my post for Sunday Salon: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/01/sunday-salon-brand-new-happy-year.html

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree about review copies. They seemed like such a great idea, but the very idea that I "have" to read it, makes me not want to. A bit childish, but there it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally understand the due date thing. I get so bogged down by that kind of stuff and that's why this year I'm staying away from challenges, blog tours, etc. Well, at least for now I am :)

    Good luck with your reading goals!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think your reading goals sound absolutely glorious!!!! Enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My attention span for books is really low and while I wouldn't say this book is the best ever written, it had a really lovely, although somewhat predictable, plot and flowed very nicely. Mostly importantly though, the story kept me going and I wasn't able to put it down. Very enjoyable read all round, and a very interesting and empowering twist on the Salem story.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!