Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Sunday Salon - The Bookish Weekend

Yesterday was a bit of a Mama Field Trip. Chuck met a photography buddy at Barnes and Noble, so I went along for a little peace and reading. Greyson partied all day with the Rockets and Chuck's mom. After a quick drink and bite at Starbuck's, I ran off with my Nook to find a comfy chair and to read.

First order of business: I finished my second book of the year, Katherine Howe's The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. I'm really looking forward to writing the review because there were times when the book made me roll my eyes, and other times I got a little teary reading it. Very strange experience--definitely not all good and not all bad.

After I cruised the store and looked over some Really-Want-'Em books, I headed back to the cafe and read through some essays and free in-store content before diving into Pat Conroy's literary memoir, My Reading Life. I've read three of the essays so far, and I adore them. I've never read any of Conroy's other work, but I think I'll be more apt to do so after I finish this collection.

***

And it's now many hours later. We've run errands, bought groceries, cleaned house. Chuck is lying down with Mr. G., the Rockets are doing whatever they do upstairs, and I'm lounging on the couch, TV turned off, and I think I'll spend a decent chunk of the rest of my evening perusing the written word.

I spent part of my morning looking over my shelves, gearing myself up for the Chunkster Challenge. I found some Hemingway novels I picked up at a garage sale a while back, and For Whom the Bell Tolls looks like a front runner for the challenge. Not to mention the other books I listed on the 2011 Challenges page up top. I also spent some time dusting bookshelves this afternoon, relocating some of the books to higher ground since Greyson can grab at them now.

It hasn't been a terribly cohesive or restful day, but it has been a bookish day--and weekend for that matter--and for that I'm thankful. Slowly but surely I begin to feel more like my old reading self, and that's the best way the new year could start off.

How was your Sunday? Any glowing recommendations to pass along?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik